Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Software & Technology (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Best way to learn VBA. (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=88423)

whisper 08-11-2006 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Gile (Post 1688062)
But my point, which you ignore, is that a lot of people generate the code with the recorder and routinely use it as is! Often, when this is done, the code will not always work they way the user thinks it will. IOW, the code does NOT "work"! That's not using the recorder as a learning tool.

I'm sorry, I thought I addressed this, but I guess I wasn't clear enough.

You are 100% correct in that the recorder is a problem when people use it in lieu of programming. The recorder is an awful programmer. Nonetheless, when people do this - they aren't interested in learning to program. They're just interested in having a program, and went to the cheapest source to get it.

Brad Gile 08-11-2006 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whisper (Post 1688223)
I'm sorry, I thought I addressed this, but I guess I wasn't clear enough.

You are 100% correct in that the recorder is a problem when people use it in lieu of programming. The recorder is an awful programmer. Nonetheless, when people do this - they aren't interested in learning to program. They're just interested in having a program, and went to the cheapest source to get it.

OK.

Brad

Roto 08-12-2006 06:17 PM

What type of jobs do you guys have in the industry where you are actually using this stuff?

Long ago, I created and used Excel macros for non-actuarial gig... but since I've been in the industry, I just haven't had the opportunity. The skill is gone. I enjoyed automating Excel with VBA though...

Kazodev 08-12-2006 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roto (Post 1689052)
What type of jobs do you guys have in the industry where you are actually using this stuff?

Long ago, I created and used Excel macros for non-actuarial gig... but since I've been in the industry, I just haven't had the opportunity. The skill is gone. I enjoyed automating Excel with VBA though...

I just do simple stuff, like summary type things. Taking stuff from a bunch of worksheets, calculating simple things and summarizing in one worksheet. Nothing special.

Brad Gile 08-12-2006 06:42 PM

Quote:

I used to do a lot of Monte Carlo simulation and modeling work. Now I'm retired but still use Excel VBA for number theory stuff and other math play.
For heavy duty stuff I use Mathcad.

Brad

SirVLCIV 08-12-2006 11:40 PM

The only stuff I've used VBA for have been non-project related at work: however, they've so far turned out very useful (turning a common 2 hour task into a 15 minute one). They won't be inherited, so they can be as sloppy and undocumented as I want as long as they do what I want ;)

Brad Gile 08-13-2006 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirVLCIV (Post 1689174)
The only stuff I've used VBA for have been non-project related at work: however, they've so far turned out very useful (turning a common 2 hour task into a 15 minute one). They won't be inherited, so they can be as sloppy and undocumented as I want as long as they do what I want ;)

You have a macro that runs for 15 minutes? No, I do not want to see the code. :D

Brad

SirVLCIV 08-13-2006 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Gile (Post 1689295)
You have a macro that runs for 15 minutes? No, I do not want to see the code. :D

Brad

Rofl: no. Macro takes 15 seconds. Using the output takes 15 minutes ;)

Before, it was data entry. Look in report, put number in form, look in report, put number in form. Now I can import the numbers directly into the form after the macro has run, which takes about a minute. The rest of the time is putting together the attachments :swear:.

MNBridge 08-13-2006 03:09 PM

Quote:

Simulation, automated pricing.

Creating non-excel functions. Mostly things like Poisson Inv and the functions found in Klugman.

Brad Gile 08-13-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBridge (Post 1689399)
Simulation, automated pricing.

Creating non-excel functions. Mostly things like Poisson Inv and the functions found in Klugman.

I had similar uses. Did you use copulas?

Brad