Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Investment / Financial Markets (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   November 2018 IFM Exam (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=333295)

badwolfbri 06-28-2018 02:17 PM

November 2018 IFM Exam

I guess there's no time like the present to begin my slow decline into madness, right?

Didn't see a Nov sitting post, so starting one here. What materials are you planning on using?

Spewin 06-28-2018 02:26 PM

I'm working through the ASM manual right now. So far, I hate it. It does not have sufficient information to complete the practice problems and it's riddled with errors. I have to keep the eratta very handy.

Dalek23 06-28-2018 02:59 PM

I'm using the Coaching Actuaries bundle. Having Adapt quizzes is handy for end-of-section problems.

The videos have also been superb so far. I haven't used the manual much, but from what I've seen, it's very well written.

sweptawaybythesea 06-28-2018 03:05 PM

Also using the Coaching Actuaries bundle. So far I'm only reading the manual, but I'm going to watch the videos to reinforce my understanding this weekend and follow up with quizzes on each section.

I used CA for P and FM and so far have been pleased, so I hope my success with them continues.

KyleMoyer 06-29-2018 12:06 AM

I don't have the money right now for the CA bundle. I was considering the ASM manual but if it's filled with errors, what is the ACTEX manual like?

Dalek23 06-29-2018 08:30 AM

I think the authors of the ACTEX Corporate Finance course are the same as the IFM. If so, I thought they were excellent.

badwolfbri 06-29-2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spewin (Post 9363906)
I'm working through the ASM manual right now. So far, I hate it. It does not have sufficient information to complete the practice problems and it's riddled with errors. I have to keep the eratta very handy.

Hopefully they update the ASM frequently to correct for the errors people are finding! :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dalek23 (Post 9363973)
I'm using the Coaching Actuaries bundle. Having Adapt quizzes is handy for end-of-section problems.

The videos have also been superb so far. I haven't used the manual much, but from what I've seen, it's very well written.

I just bought the bundle. Going to start watching videos this weekend. Yay. :slug:

KyleMoyer 07-04-2018 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badwolfbri (Post 9365501)
Hopefully they update the ASM frequently to correct for the errors people are finding! :/

There's a second printing that supposedly has the corrections in it

Bell 07-05-2018 08:18 PM

All:

If you are looking for a study manual that (i) provides great explanation for finance and derivatives concepts, (ii) solves practice questions, I strongly recommend you use the PAK.

Many FSA-takers have been satisfied using the PAK products and the same rigor and excellence were placed in producing the new IFM Study Manual.

Give it a try and you will not regret it!

chica_anaLista 07-09-2018 03:40 PM

I sat the exam last week and the Coaching Actuaries bundle is worth the investment if you can swing it. I did find their MFE videos on options to be a lot more helpful than the videos they created for the same topics on IFM though and also recommend working through all of the practice problems provided by the SOA at least twice.