Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Long-Term Actuarial Math (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Spring 2019 LTAM Progress Thread (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=336596)

sukkev08 11-20-2018 02:04 PM

Spring 2019 LTAM Progress Thread

I don't see a thread for Spring 2019 sitting, so decided to start one.

I know it is a bit too early, but I know I won't have much time in December and January... starting early!

For anyone who has previously prepared the exam only using CA online manual and ADAPT, how did it go?

Magus 11-21-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukkev08 (Post 9483735)
For anyone who has previously prepared the exam only using CA online manual and ADAPT, how did it go?

I took MLC a year ago using ASM plus a couple weeks of ADAPT and got a 5. This time I used the CA online manual, ADAPT, and focused more on WA. I really liked how concise CA manual was, but I think it helped having the base knowledge from ASM.

I finished ADAPT with a 6.18 after 13 exams. I flew through most of the MC questions and would guess I got 16/20, with maybe 14 on the first pass. I think 25% were on the new LTAM topics, but fortunately they were extremely basic. I felt like I had more time for WA than I did with MLC.

For WA, I worked through SOA sample, previous exam, and CA questions 1-3 times depending on my results. I felt pretty good about 4 WA since they were very similar to ones I had seen. 2 were new to me and I really struggled with #6 even though I felt good about Pension problems.

I felt better leaving the exam than with MLC so I'd be disappointed (but not exactly surprised) if I fail again.

preyas999 11-25-2018 10:40 PM

I'll be joining you. Just wrote IFM a week ago (really iffy on how it went, I can see myself passing or failing with no surprise either way) and just bought CA Learn Pro package for LTAM. Hopefully Dave can carry me to a pass!

SweepingRocks 11-26-2018 12:05 AM

I'll also be joining in the LTAM festivities

Quote:

Originally Posted by preyas999 (Post 9485407)
I'll be joining you. Just wrote IFM a week ago (really iffy on how it went, I can see myself passing or failing with no surprise either way) and just bought CA Learn Pro package for LTAM. Hopefully Dave can carry me to a pass!

Break a leg!

CarolynMarie 11-26-2018 12:08 PM

I was wondering when this thread would pop up!

I took the first sitting of LTAM in October, but wasn't very optimistic going into it. I actually felt much better than I thought I would coming out of it, but I still don't think I passed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukkev08 (Post 9483735)

I used (and will use) the CA online manual, their video lessons, and ADAPT, and I think they're all great. I love how everything is organized and lines up across the different materials, and I think the manual is clear and concise. My problem in October was that I got caught up at work and ended up not taking the sitting 100% seriously because I didn't think I had enough time to study, but I'm all in this time!

sukkev08 11-26-2018 01:53 PM

I wish my company would pay for CA video lessons... but I like how concise their online manual is written and it does its job so far, mated with ADAPT quizzes.

ActuaryEveryday 11-26-2018 03:16 PM

Gonna prepare for it.
Does anybody suggest to go over the questions from ASM LTAM?
For MFE and C, I just learned the materials from ASM and did practice from samples and CA/Mahler.
For different exams I think they should have different study plans.
ASM questions typically not match the exam difficulty.
Thanks.

sweptawaybythesea 11-27-2018 04:08 PM

Just sat for IFM and I'm confident I passed. All in for LTAM in April...wooo so excited.

kimjongfun 11-29-2018 12:26 PM

took it in october, 99% chance I'll be taking it in the spring

HaloPewPew 11-30-2018 12:16 PM

Making my study schedule now! Have TIA and going to use adapt quizzes in between topics.

I just started a new job so it looks like I'll be studying mostly in the AM