Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Investment / Financial Markets (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   MARCH 2018 MFE Exam (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=327198)

edcars 10-12-2017 09:14 AM

MARCH 2018 MFE Exam
 
Gotta get going early on this since I'm trying to sit for MAS-I in May :-P

Any recommended study materials? Heard actuarialbrew is good, always have used ASM without issue though. Adapt really helped me out with Exam C for the October sitting

Art_Vandelay 10-12-2017 03:37 PM

ADAPT is key for passing this exam. I highly recommend it

ARodOmaha 10-12-2017 05:38 PM

bjb0016, did you use the SOA sample questions for MFE? I am trying to go through it (skipping anything obviously Brownian) but they feel much more difficult than Adapt.

For instance, several questions take partial derivatives of special options to get Greeks (usually delta). Ends up with N'(d2), which requires the normal function to solve. Curious if you'd recommend skipping this and only using the SOA questions within Adapt.

Whoaminoneofyourbusiness 10-16-2017 12:22 PM

I'm probably going to take this in March, unless I get too carried away with mods.

How difficult is this exam now that the stochastic calc is gone? Wondering how much effort I should put into this relative to C and MLC.

edcars 11-07-2017 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
March syllabus was released within the last 24 hours, unfortunately we will still not have instantaneous results

KristinaO 11-10-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edcars (Post 9121584)
Gotta get going early on this since I'm trying to sit for MAS-I in May :-P

Any recommended study materials? Heard actuarialbrew is good, always have used ASM without issue though. Adapt really helped me out with Exam C for the October sitting

I am finding ADAPT very useful, so I would definitely do that in addition to ASM and Derivative Markets. I am taking the exam in less then two weeks but I am still behind so I will have to take it again in March and will be doing Adapt for at least 2-3 months. I think removing the scholastic nonsense made it easier, so better get it out of the way, since more material (though interesting material) is added to the exams after March 2018. Good luck!

ashleymarp 11-15-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristinaO (Post 9162256)
I am finding ADAPT very useful, so I would definitely do that in addition to ASM and Derivative Markets. I am taking the exam in less then two weeks but I am still behind so I will have to take it again in March and will be doing Adapt for at least 2-3 months. I think removing the scholastic nonsense made it easier, so better get it out of the way, since more material (though interesting material) is added to the exams after March 2018. Good luck!

How highly would you recommend against not using Derivative Markets and relying solely on ASM and ADAPT?

eclipserydr 11-15-2017 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashleymarp (Post 9166263)
How highly would you recommend against not using Derivative Markets and relying solely on ASM and ADAPT?

I have the same question.. as I have ASM and the first few lessons don't go into great depth unlike ASM for the first two exams. Maybe I just need more practice problems to get it to stick.

KristinaO 11-17-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashleymarp (Post 9166263)
How highly would you recommend against not using Derivative Markets and relying solely on ASM and ADAPT?

I am not sure if I would say do not use DM at all. While ASM and ADAPT are absolute must, for the peace of mind I would suggest to read DM as well. It is really your call, but I think the more sources of study material you use, the better off you are. Typically, I use the required book for an exam and combine it with ASM and ADAPT.

KristinaO 11-17-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipserydr (Post 9166302)
I have the same question.. as I have ASM and the first few lessons don't go into great depth unlike ASM for the first two exams. Maybe I just need more practice problems to get it to stick.

I am using old ASM manual so I am not sure how different the first chapters are from your manual (in my manual the intend was just to review some terms, since that manual was not for the "newer" edition of exam, and for DM chapters 1,2,3,5 I reviewed my notes from ASM manual for FM exam). ADAPT is were it all comes together since I believe doing questions is how you get better and find a few tricks and shortcuts. I think the best thing to do (and what I did) - I read a section from DM and then corresponding section from ASM, and once I covered entire syllabus went on to ADAPT. Hope that helps.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Page generated in 0.25354 seconds with 9 queries