Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Careers - Employment (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Haven't Heard Back after First-Round Interviews (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=327717)

actuary1997 10-30-2017 01:31 PM

Haven't Heard Back after First-Round Interviews

Hi,

So I am currently freaking out because I had several companies contact me at the beginning of October to do digital interviews through HireVue, but it is basically the end of October, and I have heard nothing back! I emailed employees I know working at these companies two weeks ago, and they have said that I should be hearing back shortly. However, another two weeks have passed, and I still have not heard anything back. Have I been rejected or is it normal to wait this long after a digital interview?

:-?

SlowMotionWalter 10-30-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindyni1997 (Post 9150423)
Hi,

So I am currently freaking out because I had several companies contact me at the beginning of October to do digital interviews through HireVue, but it is basically the end of October, and I have heard nothing back! I emailed employees I know working at these companies two weeks ago, and they have said that I should be hearing back shortly. However, another two weeks have passed, and I still have not heard anything back. Have I been rejected or is it normal to wait this long after a digital interview?

Could be either. The hiring process is slow. Some companies just ghost on you instead of letting you know you've been rejected. Just assume you've been rejected and keep applying other places.

Colonel Smoothie 10-30-2017 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindyni1997 (Post 9150423)
Hi,

Assume that you've been rejected and carry on with additional applications at other firms. Applying to jobs is a lot like dating. Like Tinder/Grindr, you'll have to accept the possibility of never hearing from someone ever again. They may contact you out of the blue at some later point in time, but I wouldn't count on it - and, if they do, would you really want to go with someone who wasn't that into you to begin with?

Colonel Smoothie 10-30-2017 01:43 PM

With regards to HireVue, I'm extremely skeptical and doubt that it's a good idea. For those not in the loop - it's a program that scans your face and uses AI to determine whether you'll be a good hire.

There are some good things about it - pre-interview practice gives you feedback on how to improve yourself. But, attempting to correlate facial expressions with competence makes me uneasy.

Recent social critique here:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15111297

There are all sorts of minefields here. You'll likely need different algorithms to scan people from different ethnic backgrounds and there's a good chance that racial biases are programmed into the software.

Dr T Non-Fan 10-30-2017 01:55 PM

Depends on who is on the receiving end. If it's HR, that usually does not bode well for actuarial applicants.

DataDan 10-30-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie (Post 9150433)
With regards to HireVue, I'm extremely skeptical and doubt that it's a good idea. For those not in the loop - it's a program that scans your face and uses AI to determine whether you'll be a good hire.

There are some good things about it - pre-interview practice gives you feedback on how to improve yourself. But, attempting to correlate facial expressions with competence makes me uneasy.

Recent social critique here:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15111297

There are all sorts of minefields here. You'll likely need different algorithms to scan people from different ethnic backgrounds and there's a good chance that racial biases are programmed into the software.

pretty sure that software is sponsored by a firm that specializes in class action employment discrimination lawsuits.

but i think the OP is just using it for video interviews, not so much the facial thing.

vjvj 10-30-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DataDan (Post 9150479)
pretty sure that software is sponsored by a firm that specializes in class action employment discrimination lawsuits.

but i think the OP is just using it for video interviews, not so much the facial thing.

So they provide a tool to facilitate discrimination, then they file lawsuits against those who use it? Awesome!

JMO 10-30-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vjvj (Post 9150523)
So they provide a tool to facilitate discrimination, then they file lawsuits against those who use it? Awesome!

I think Dan is saying that the vendor specializes in defending companies that are sued by applicants. And, as pointed out above, the facial recognition thing could easily be used by the rejected as a basis to sue.

In other words, they are drumming up business.

DataDan 10-30-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vjvj (Post 9150523)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMO (Post 9150549)
I think Dan is saying that the vendor specializes in defending companies that are sued by applicants. And, as pointed out above, the facial recognition thing could easily be used by the rejected as a basis to sue.

In other words, they are drumming up business.

why not both? Act as the filing firm and the defending firm! double the fees with a guaranteed victory.

but seriously, I was hinting at the bolded.

twig93 10-30-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie (Post 9150429)
They may contact you out of the blue at some later point in time, but I wouldn't count on it - and, if they do, would you really want to go with someone who wasn't that into you to begin with?

I wouldn't automatically assume that the bolded is a fact if you do end up hearing from a firm after a while. You never know what's going on.

Maybe the hiring manager up and quit or retired and they decided to hold off on filling the lower level position until they'd filled the management position so that the new manager can have a say in who gets hired. That's not automatically bad, as long as management isn't fleeing in droves (which would be a bad sign).

Maybe there was a company-wide hiring freeze and the top actuary had to fight the powers that be to get an exception for this particular position. Some stupid politics at the company level, but the individual department might not be so bad. Particularly as a place to start your career and learn, even if not a place to work at for the bulk of your career.

Maybe they hired a super-star and the super-star quit after 3 months to pursue a higher paying gig and now the position is vacant again. You being their second choice may have been perfectly rational (the super-star had more exams than you, two internships with the company - one of which was in that department) and they never thought there was anything wrong with you other than being an unknown quantity compared with the known awesomeness of the super-star.

Maybe they didn't like you that much but now they're desperate.

You just don't know and there's only so much you can figure out before you accept the position. Ask what you can, hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.