Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Exam PA: Predictive Analytics (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=317)
-   -   June 2019 Exam PA (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=337553)

joshhof 01-18-2019 10:55 AM

June 2019 Exam PA

Starting a thread for the June 2019 sitting of the PA exam. Does anyone know if the SOA will continue to use R version 3.5.0 on the exams or do you think they will upgrade to the latest version?

NotSmart 01-18-2019 10:58 AM

Are there major differences between the 2 versions?

joshhof 01-18-2019 11:42 AM

https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windo...S.R-3.5.2.html

Seems like there is a good chunk of bug fixes in 3.5.1 and 3.5.2. Chances are that we might not run into any of these bugs, but maybe someone with more R experience than I can confirm whether or not these things matter.

Whoaminoneofyourbusiness 01-18-2019 12:26 PM

None of those updates change what you're doing, I'd just not worry about it unless the SOA mentions an update

KarimZ 01-20-2019 04:08 AM

Can someone recommend whats the ideal amount of study time required for this exam? And whats the difficulty compared to other prelims?

Think ill register PA in Feb mid.

NotSmart 01-20-2019 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarimZ (Post 9521747)
Can someone recommend whats the ideal amount of study time required for this exam? And whats the difficulty compared to other prelims?

Think ill register PA in Feb mid.

4 months sounds good.

You have to read some textbooks. First sitting was easy, because it was the first sitting. Later sittings will become progressively harder.

NotSmart 01-20-2019 07:25 AM

February - Read through An Introduction to Statistical Learning
March - Read through Regression Modeling with Actuarial and Financial Applications
April - Read through R for Everyone and Data Visualization: A Practical Introduction. Start modules
May - Finish modules and practice

windows7forever 01-21-2019 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSmart (Post 9521750)
February - Read through An Introduction to Statistical Learning
March - Read through Regression Modeling with Actuarial and Financial Applications
April - Read through R for Everyone and Data Visualization: A Practical Introduction. Start modules
May - Finish modules and practice

I thought those readings are already covered in the online modules. I just finished module 1 slides and R practices but I have not completed textbook readings yet.

I hope the modules will direct us to review both R and Applied Statistics plus new contents which are adequate for this exam.

KarimZ 01-21-2019 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windows7forever (Post 9522244)
I thought those readings are already covered in the online modules. I just finished module 1 slides and R practices but I have not completed textbook readings yet.

I hope the modules will direct us to review both R and Applied Statistics plus new contents which are adequate for this exam.

I was thinking the same. Do we really have to buy books, considering we are paying such a big amount for this exam, the material should be in the modules already.

NotSmart 01-21-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windows7forever (Post 9522244)

I think the modules reference parts of the textbook, but you're required to know the books in advance. The syllabus states that candidates should read those textbooks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarimZ (Post 9522247)
I was thinking the same. Do we really have to buy books, considering we are paying such a big amount for this exam, the material should be in the modules already.

Never underestimate the greed of the SOA.