Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Long-Term Actuarial Math (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Spring 2019 LTAM Progress Thread (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=336596)

urbjhawk 11-30-2018 03:48 PM

Will hopefully be attempting in April, my pace is going a little slowly. I'm using Coaching Actuaries Learn videos paired with Adapt and am just now finishing up with the life insurance section, on to annuities soon.

Mr. Stoppable 12-04-2018 02:15 PM

I'm switching tracks, y'all! LTAM here I come!

ryanpez 12-22-2018 07:16 PM

Anyone have recommendations on TIA vs CA for LTAM? They are both about the same price. I'm leaning towards TIA. Thanks.

sukkev08 12-26-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanpez (Post 9503235)
Anyone have recommendations on TIA vs CA for LTAM? They are both about the same price. I'm leaning towards TIA. Thanks.

heard good things about TIA for LTAM/MLC. very concise and lots of practice problems.

I'm using CA online manual though, coupled with ADAPT. So far so good :study:

Seasplash 12-31-2018 02:34 AM

I just wanted to say how much I hated the Exam Tables they gave us during the Fall 2018 sitting. Why do the numbers need to be so unnecessarily small?

msuMATH2013 01-02-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

My biggest advice is stick with whatever worked for you in the past, for me an ASM manual and ADAPT. I passed three exams with that and switched to TIA after getting a job that covered study materials and have failed MLC multiple times now. I'm not blaming TIA, I'm blaming me changing a winning combo.

Ursus_Maritimus 01-02-2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msuMATH2013 (Post 9507203)
My biggest advice is stick with whatever worked for you in the past, for me an ASM manual and ADAPT. I passed three exams with that and switched to TIA after getting a job that covered study materials and have failed MLC multiple times now. I'm not blaming TIA, I'm blaming me changing a winning combo.

Maybe, but also LTAM/MLC under written format is significantly harder than other preliminaries so I wouldn't say its fair to conclude that you'd have a different experience had you stuck with ASM+Adapt. I'm saying MLC is the hardest based on my own experience taking all prelims and an FSA exam and my coworkers (though I don't know anybody who's taken Predictive Analytics so not sure about that one).

With LTAM, the concepts are easy to pick up, but don't let this fool you. I'm obviously generalizing here, but from my own experience and the dozens of coworkers I know who have taken the exam (a lot who have taken it 2,3 and 4 times) the two biggest things different about LTAM from other preliminary exams are:
  1. On the written answer, questions are tested in a way which remembering the formulas and being a genius in stats and calculus is not sufficient. A strong understanding of basic concepts and especially how they can be fit together on a test question is needed to pass.
  2. You will not get to answer every part of every question on the exam adequately, there is not enough time on the exam for all but the strongest of candidates. You need to be writting for the entire exam and spend your time wisely

I passed with TIA but felt it was not perfect - I was underprepared on certain topics, but it fit my learning style since I felt like the videos and guide gave me a firm grasp on the basic and core concepts even though it didn't cover or brushed over certain advanced/detailed topics which are underweighted on the tests. Those topics inevitably will show up on the test to some degree, but obviously it's no coincidence the topics covered well by TIA are the ones which make up the meat of the exam.

Chappy 01-03-2019 09:12 AM

Anybody else planning on using the last ASM MLC manual to study for this?

Actuarial Brewski 01-03-2019 09:12 AM

Could anyone post the suggested study scheduled form Coaching Actuaries? Thinking about going for this sitting and using CA or trying to do PA.

ActuariallyDecentAtBest 01-03-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

TIA hands down.