Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Long-Term Actuarial Math (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Spring 2019 LTAM Progress Thread (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=336596)

Colymbosathon ecplecticos 01-21-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSmart (Post 9523026)
?
Where does it say that?

Earlier today your signature line did not have a "Degree" line. In its place was a "Major" line that said "mathematics".

NotSmart 01-21-2019 08:32 PM

Math has always been my weakest subject. I had difficulties passing Algebra I, Algebra II and Trigonometry.

I passed my Trig class with tons of extra credit. No way I would major in math in college.

NotSmart 01-21-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos (Post 9523036)
Earlier today your signature line did not have a "Degree" line. In its place was a "Major" line that said "mathematics".

Again, I do not know what you are talking about.

windows7forever 01-21-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSmart (Post 9523038)
Math has always been my weakest subject. I had difficulties passing Algebra I, Algebra II and Trigonometry.

I passed my Trig class with tons of extra credit. No way I would major in math in college.

I can hardly believe your college math background prepare you enough for any actuarial exam. But I know CA and TIA and other actuarial exam preparation tools can still help people focus on improving their weaknesses until they master most parts of syllabus to pass exams.

I used CA to prepare for my exams too, but I cannot believe you got 0s a couple times with TIA which are more expensive and more preferred by many people. Even more strangely, you got passed LTAM with switching to CA on one attempt only. You probably did not study enough when you had TIA but you spent more time on CA that made you to pass LTAM.

People have failed exams using both products and other products before, but I think that's because they do not adapt to those products or have not spent enough time diving deeply in these materials.

NotSmart 01-21-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windows7forever (Post 9523081)
I can hardly believe your college math background prepare you enough for any actuarial exam. But I know CA and TIA and other actuarial exam preparation tools can still help people focus on improving their weaknesses until they master most parts of syllabus to pass exams.

I used CA to prepare for my exams too, but I cannot believe you got 0s a couple times with TIA which are more expensive and more preferred by many people. Even more strangely, you got passed LTAM with switching to CA on one attempt only. You probably did not study enough when you had TIA but you spent more time on CA that made you to pass LTAM.

People have failed exams using both products and other products before, but I think that's because they do not adapt to those products or have not spent enough time diving deeply in these materials.

There isn't really a lot of math in these exams.
I think basic algebra (Understanding what a variable is and solving for unknowns), basic calculus (Memorizing derivatives and integrals of simple functions) and slightly below average IQ are enough to pass exams.

windows7forever 01-21-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActuaryEveryday (Post 9485911)
Gonna prepare for it.
Does anybody suggest to go over the questions from ASM LTAM?
For MFE and C, I just learned the materials from ASM and did practice from samples and CA/Mahler.
For different exams I think they should have different study plans.
ASM questions typically not match the exam difficulty.
Thanks.

When I took MLC, CA used to have ASM manuals as their study manuals. Last summer they split up and CA developed its own manual. But compared to previous expired ASM e-manual, the new CA manual for LTAM and maybe other exams too are pretty similar to shorter version of ASM that focus on material and examples related to current syllabus.

ASM certainly works if you have a lot time to read and do most of problems. I do not have that much time to do that many old questions. If you do not have much study time, CA manual will be the most costly and timely effective way to use for LTAM study and pair that with ADAPT for additional practices.

dogbite1337 01-21-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSmart (Post 9523085)
I think basic algebra (Understanding what a variable is and solving for unknowns), basic calculus (Memorizing derivatives and integrals of simple functions) and slightly below average IQ are enough to pass exams.

:troll:

NotSmart 01-21-2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogbite1337 (Post 9523092)
:troll:

Excuse me?
Look at my SAT Math score. My SAT scores were so low I had to attend community college. I never even took calculus. My formal math education went up to Trigonometry.

And yet, look where I'm at. I never struggled with a single Actuarial Exam and passed all of them with scores of 8+.

I just disproved the myth that actuaries are good at math.

NotSmart 01-21-2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windows7forever (Post 9523086)
When I took MLC, CA used to have ASM manuals as their study manuals. Last summer they split up and CA developed its own manual. But compared to previous expired ASM e-manual, the new CA manual for LTAM and maybe other exams too are pretty similar to shorter version of ASM that focus on material and examples related to current syllabus.

ASM certainly works if you have a lot time to read and do most of problems. I do not have that much time to do that many old questions. If you do not have much study time, CA manual will be the most costly and timely effective way to use for LTAM study and pair that with ADAPT for additional practices.

I agree with this post. CA manual is extremely concise and never goes deeper into a topic than it has to.

windows7forever 01-21-2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSmart (Post 9523085)

If you tell college professors they will not believe so. For example, before I even heard the word "actuary" or "actuarial science," the undergraduate math, statistics, or financial math or quantitative programs would require to take mathematical statistics. That's a course with a minimum prerequisite of Calculus III (some colleges may require Calculus II if they only have two Calculus levels).

In order to take the first exam P, professors would require students to complete at least one semester of upper level mathematical statistics (for juniors and seniors) at minimum.

Basic algebra and basic calculus are for high school students. I do not think that's sufficient for any actuarial exam. At least you cannot pass STAM or C with just basic stuff.