Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Careers - Employment (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Here is some career-changer advice (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=230954)

Dr T Non-Fan 12-16-2011 01:57 PM

Here is some career-changer advice

Placeholder for the advice to we give to the FAQs of the once-a-month posters. If someone with authority deems it so worthy, I'd like this thread to be made "sticky."

For starters:
Q1. What should I do first?
A1: Pass some exams. Then, get back to us.

Q2:
Where is there a sample of exam questions?
A2: Here is a link to the sample exam questions. there are 153 questions.
http://www.beanactuary.org/exams/pre...equestions.pdf

Q3: Am I too old?
A3. No, you're not too old. But you probably won't get any of the slots designated for the recent grads. You'll have to look for "offseason" openings. These pop up when a recent grad doesn't work out, and the company still wants someone to fill the position.

Q4: will I have to take a salary cut?
A4. Yes, you will start somewhere near the bottom of the salary ladder, but if you turn out to be a great worker, your salary increases should be larger. (Or, maybe not.) Remember, you're the risk here. All companies are different in their perception of the career changer. you'll likely end up with one that doesn't have any hangups you can conceive of. (Meaning, the others won't bother with you.)

Q5: But my situation is unique.....
A5: No, it's not.

(From Justin M.)
Q6: What's the job market like?
A6: As of December 2011, it's not that great. Although many employment "experts' will say the profession is expanding, they don't realize that the pool of applicants is expanding greater.

(From Justin M.)
Q7: Will I be limiting my odds if I am geographically restricted?
A7: Without knowing any more about you, the general answer is yes. Most actuaries live where the home offices of insurance companies are: NYC, CHI, Hartford, then there's another tier of areas, then the outliers. Consultants can generally live wherever they want these days.

Vorian Atreides 12-16-2011 02:20 PM

:iatp: and the sticky-thread request.

If only we can get people to look at it, though. That's the sticky part.

Dr T Non-Fan 12-16-2011 02:23 PM

I think that's why it's called a "sticky." amirite!?

Who has the stickinator (besides Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated) around here?

Justin.M 12-16-2011 02:37 PM

What's the job market like? Will I be limiting my odds if I am geographically restricted?

undegaussable 12-16-2011 03:16 PM

stickying a thread guarantees it won't get read by anyone, IMO

Locrian 12-16-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan (Post 5694139)
Q5: But my situation is unique.....
A5: No, it's not.

Agreed. So let me say to any career changer that reads this thread:

Dear Career Changer,

Everything you need to know has already been asked and answered. Proceed to the search function.

Thank you,

A Career Changer Who Applied This Advice When Changing His Career

frechley 12-16-2011 04:56 PM

I approve of this thread. Mostly because it furthers my curiosity about how certain posters get any work done. When you are in the 10k, 20k, 30k, etc. range of posts does your employer exempt you from any level of productivity? That's what I'm shooting for.

Hero3128 12-16-2011 04:58 PM

If I can do it, anyone can.

Dr T Non-Fan 12-16-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frechley (Post 5694706)
I approve of this thread. Mostly because it furthers my curiosity about how certain posters get any work done. When you are in the 10k, 20k, 30k, etc. range of posts does your employer exempt you from any level of productivity? That's what I'm shooting for.

I'm extremely productive. That's why I have so much time on my hands.

Besides, it's frequency, not volume, that affects productivity. An actuary should know this.

Dr T Non-Fan 12-16-2011 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undegaussable (Post 5694367)
stickying a thread guarantees it won't get read by anyone, IMO

Meh. Makes it easier for people to link it when people ask the same questions about once a month.