Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Short-Term Actuarial Math (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   February 2019 Exam STAM Thread (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=335902)

harb1sj 10-19-2018 11:13 AM

February 2019 Exam STAM Thread
 
Too early to start this thread? Just bought my CA bundle and ready to get started :rolleyes: I've never had video lessons for exam prep, so hopefully this will be a bit easier than learning out of a book.

timmbo1987 10-19-2018 01:24 PM

I've been studying for this sitting for a month or so now. I am currently working through the manual, and i Just finished up Maximum Likelihood Estimators in ASM.

skysecond 10-19-2018 04:39 PM

Just purchased CA bundle today. Study gets started from this weekend. Good luck to all!

CaribbeanActuary 10-21-2018 05:56 PM

For those of you that used/are using the ASM manual to study, I would like your advice. Are you aiming to complete every single one of the exercises? Or are you doing a limited number of questions from each exercise? If the latter, what is your general rule of thumb for how many questions you do from each exercise?

Also, how do you use the Supplementary Questions Sections? Do you complete these too?

harb1sj 10-22-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaribbeanActuary (Post 9459182)
For those of you that used/are using the ASM manual to study, I would like your advice. Are you aiming to complete every single one of the exercises? Or are you doing a limited number of questions from each exercise? If the latter, what is your general rule of thumb for how many questions you do from each exercise?

While I am not using the ASM manual for this exam, when I have used paper manuals for previous exams I have started off by doing every exercise at the end of each section. As the exam drew closer in each case I had a better idea of what I needed to work on and how quickly I was catching on, so I skipped 1/4-1/2 of the questions in the later chapters. You will also know how much time you would like to be spending doing problems in the book vs. practice exams as you approach your test date.

I would say there is no strict rule of thumb, but go with your gut and your own perceived level of understanding.

CaribbeanActuary 10-22-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harb1sj (Post 9460261)
While I am not using the ASM manual for this exam, when I have used paper manuals for previous exams I have started off by doing every exercise at the end of each section. As the exam drew closer in each case I had a better idea of what I needed to work on and how quickly I was catching on, so I skipped 1/4-1/2 of the questions in the later chapters. You will also know how much time you would like to be spending doing problems in the book vs. practice exams as you approach your test date.

I would say there is no strict rule of thumb, but go with your gut and your own perceived level of understanding.

I feel you on going "with your gut". After a number of prelims under our belts, you'd think we'd be pros at this by now :-P lol...

Jim Daniel 10-23-2018 04:03 PM

Face-to-face exam-prep seminar
 
Now that this thread is up and running, I thought I should post the same information here that I posted on the October-sitting thread---sorry for the duplication.

As usual, I'm offering my face-to-face exam-prep seminar for the February sitting. In order to avoid all the December/January holidays (and my professional obligations) and not get too close to the 8 February start of STAM's exam week, I have to offer it in the first half of December---namely 6 - 12 December. Since the SoA is not providing instant results for the October sitting and results won't be out until December, unfortunately October STAM takers won't know their results in time to take the seminar if they failed. I can't find a way to avoid this problem this year; it will go away again once instant results return for STAM. Soon, I hope!

Detailed information on the seminar---schedule, location, housing, registration, et cetera---can be found on my website http://www.actuarialseminars.com . Feel free to PM me with any questions that aren't answered on my website.

avanvalk 10-24-2018 03:21 PM

Speaking as someone who took STAM this month (awaiting results), I felt that the CA instructional videos and ADAPT prepared me quite well for the exam. The look and feel of the questions on the exam were very similar to what I saw in my practice problems (even the never-before-tested material like loss reserving/ratemaking). Obviously, I don't know for sure yet, but I felt good about it, and I'll be surprised if I failed, and CA was the entirety of my prep material.

timmbo1987 10-24-2018 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avanvalk (Post 9462867)
Speaking as someone who took STAM this month (awaiting results), I felt that the CA instructional videos and ADAPT prepared me quite well for the exam. The look and feel of the questions on the exam were very similar to what I saw in my practice problems (even the never-before-tested material like loss reserving/ratemaking). Obviously, I don't know for sure yet, but I felt good about it, and I'll be surprised if I failed, and CA was the entirety of my prep material.

In your opinion, would the textbook (Rate Making and Loss Reserving for Property and Casualty Insurance), in addition to ADAPT be adequate in preparation for the newly added material? I have the 18th edition of ASM for Exam C. So, I figured with that, the textbook, ADAPT, and the Sample MC questions, I would have more than enough to prepare for the February sitting.

avanvalk 10-25-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmbo1987 (Post 9463037)
In your opinion, would the textbook (Rate Making and Loss Reserving for Property and Casualty Insurance), in addition to ADAPT be adequate in preparation for the newly added material? I have the 18th edition of ASM for Exam C. So, I figured with that, the textbook, ADAPT, and the Sample MC questions, I would have more than enough to prepare for the February sitting.

I honestly didn't actually buy the textbook, so I'm not able to give an informed opinion on it, but it sounds like that should be enough. I actually took C in June and got a 5, and I felt like this sitting was easier with the new material and taking out some of the stuff from C (I struggled with kernel smoothing and simulation - survival and hazard rate estimators got moved to LTAM, but I thought those were pretty straightforward). The sample SOA questions are really good - I thought several of the questions I got on the exam were very similar to things I had seen and done on the SOA sample questions.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Page generated in 0.11374 seconds with 9 queries