Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Bridge (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Up for a challenge? (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=343568)

Steve White 09-02-2019 09:43 AM

Up for a challenge?

Instead of just challenges against bots, Klaymen and I have played over 20 challenges against each other. 16 board imp format, we hold the same cards at separate tables. All other players are bots. He's up a few matches. I'm up a few imps.

It looks like we can do this as multi-way challenges. I don't know for sure how it would work, but we can give it a try if you are interested. I think there would just be more tables, with you holding the same cards as us.

If you are interested, let me know in this thread or by PM. Include your BBO id.

I think we've been averaging a less than 24 hours per match (from when challenge issued to when challenge complete. I think my actual playing time for 16 boards is slightly over an hour.) The mechanics of a 2-player challenge is that the challenge expires 72 hours after the challenge is issued if not completed. 3+ player challenges likely work that way too.

If you don't want a 3 player challenge but would like a 2 player challenge, it's all good.

Challenges could also be MPs or total points. I prefer imps but could be flexible.

Klaymen 09-02-2019 07:41 PM

I'm in. We have binged quite a bit, and I don't want to burn out, so I would suggest 1x or 2x per week.

Just so you know, I usually get through the boards in 30-40 minutes. But I've probably been sloppier along the way...

oirg 09-09-2019 04:52 AM

I'm up for it too. My BBO handle is also oirg, and I'm usually on BBO early in the morning.

Steve White 09-09-2019 08:42 AM

Great; challenge issued. You, me, Numbers Nerd, Klaymen. We don't need to be online at the same time. We get results after everyone has finished. Or maybe when time expires (72 hours) if some have not finished, but that hasn't happened in any of the challenges so far, so I don't know what would happen.

Been There Done That 09-09-2019 10:10 AM

I'd like to give it a try also. ID=BTDT

Steve White 09-09-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Been There Done That (Post 9706018)
I'd like to give it a try also. ID=BTDT

OK. I'll include you in the next one I create.

There is a limit of 5 ids, it looks like, but if anyone else is interested I can work with multiple subsets, with a maximum of 5 ids playing any one set of boards.

oirg 09-09-2019 05:46 PM

How does one access the challenge? Does the invitation show up when logged in?

Steve White 09-09-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oirg (Post 9706636)
How does one access the challenge? Does the invitation show up when logged in?

I believe when you log in, you can see "Featured Areas", which includes Challenges. If you go there, near the top of the screen I think you'll see you have a challenge, and you can click on it.

You can also get to challenges by first going to the "Competitive Area", and you'll see "Challenges" as an option. Choose "Challenges" and then you'll see you have one challenge you can click on.

Bad sign. I can see provisional results for this challenge, and the winner isn't going to be me. At least one other person has finished, and I'm currently at -15 imps. (Whether that's -15 to one person, -15 to two combined or even an average of -15 to two combined, I don't know, but no matter what I can't end up best of 4. Plus on 3 boards, but maximum of +4 imps. Minus on 6, including a -10.

Steve White 09-09-2019 07:56 PM

Now I can't figure out how I saw those interim results, but I remain decidedly pessimistic.

Steve White 09-10-2019 10:31 AM

I was properly pessimistic. I finished last, losing an average of 11.33 imps to the other 3. 2 pluses (meaning my net imps against the other three on the board were positive), 8 minuses, 6 pushes.

New 5-player challenge is issued.