Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Non-Actuarial Topics (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Positive COVID-19 Thoughts Only (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=347254)

ditkaworshipper 03-20-2020 11:25 PM

Positive COVID-19 Thoughts Only

You know whatís great? Coming here on a Friday night is usually going to make people think, ďoh no, your social life must really suck, ditka.Ē Not today. Iím just good at risk aversion.

Breadmaker 03-20-2020 11:39 PM

Proud to be :geek: and :heynow:!!!!

ShivamS 03-20-2020 11:40 PM

They’re projecting we will have the throughput to test 100k people a day by the end of the month (currently at 1/3 of that). I think that’s huge. And make 50M+ masks a month. That should be enough for hospitals.

Not sure what supply chain limitations exist, but I’m confident we’ll figure them out.

IMP 03-21-2020 01:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Iím sure my dog loves all the loviní heís been getting! Heís so cute on my bed! :) And here he is with his late pack mate. :(

Attachment 40772

Attachment 40773

dgtatum 03-21-2020 06:15 AM

Been spending an hour or so every night calling friends, checking on people from church, and talking to mom and dad. We have quickly adjusted to life at home too. Kids are doing their schoolwork, I am doing my meetings and coding, wife is calling into her work, everything is humming. I am pretty sure our dog is having the best week of her life with her 4 favorite humans at home all the time. We also started a puzzle Monday and finished it last night. I am ordering 4 more today.

We are blessed as we bought our dream home 1-1/2 years ago. It's like 3500 sf and sits on the side of hole 17 on a local public golf course that I join every year. We basically have a park in our back yard. Wife and I have been taking walks and last night the kids and I went out with some tees to 3 different greens near our house and took turns making putt putt holes. Winner designs the next hole. They had a lot of fun. My single friend in Atlanta is going to come the week after next and spend a week with us since we have a huge guest room and I hardly ever get to see him. We just want to make sure neither house is sick before he comes.

Sredni Vashtar 03-21-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgtatum (Post 9832359)
Been spending an hour or so every night calling friends, checking on people from church, and talking to mom and dad. We have quickly adjusted to life at home too. Kids are doing their schoolwork, I am doing my meetings and coding, wife is calling into her work, everything is humming. I am pretty sure our dog is having the best week of her life with her 4 favorite humans at home all the time. We also started a puzzle Monday and finished it last night. I am ordering 4 more today.

We are blessed as we bought our dream home 1-1/2 years ago. It's like 3500 sf and sits on the side of hole 17 on a local public golf course that I join every year. We basically have a park in our back yard. Wife and I have been taking walks and last night the kids and I went out with some tees to 3 different greens near our house and took turns making putt putt holes. Winner designs the next hole. They had a lot of fun. My single friend in Atlanta is going to come the week after next and spend a week with us since we have a huge guest room and I hardly ever get to see him. We just want to make sure neither house is sick before he comes.

I was going to send you to my favorite puzzles (liberty) but apparently they closed orders due to extreme demand (and possibility of factory closure). Anyway, it's nice to picture families all over America getting angry at each other over management of the side pieces.

My 3 year old is quite happy about staying home. Either playing her stupid "computer with all the apps" or getting our personal attention, usually in the form of stories or games. She likes to play a palandromic word game where you have to begin and end with the same name. Also we started playing a simplified Machi Koro and now she's into addition and subtraction. Not surprisingly greed is the best teacher of math.

Vorian Atreides 03-21-2020 10:23 AM

This one's for ditka!

Nation's Nerds Wake Up In Utopia Where Everyone Stays Inside, Sports Are Canceled, Social Interaction Forbidden

Quote:

U.S.—The nation's nerds woke up in a utopia this morning, one where everyone stays inside, sporting events are being canceled, and all social interaction is forbidden.

All types of nerds, from social introverts to hardcore PC gamers, welcomed the dawn of this new era, privately from their own homes.

"I have been waiting my whole life for this moment," said Ned Pendleton, 32 -- via text message, of course -- as he fired up League of Legends on his beefy gaming PC. "They told me to take up a sport and that the kids playing basketball and stuff were gonna be way more successful than us nerds who played Counter-Strike at LAN parties every weekend."

"They all laughed at me. Well, who's laughing now?"

To prepare for the onslaught of the deadly disease, nerds are changing absolutely nothing and are expected to rise up to rule the post-Coronavirus society, as they are the ones best adjusted to being sheltered in a basement, garage, or room for many days at a time marathoning Halo, Half-Life, The Legend of Zelda, Red Dead Redemption, or Horizon Zero Dawn. They're also ready for any post-apocalyptic wasteland, as they've played many, many hours of Fallout and are adept at killing bloatflies and collecting bottlecaps.

Of course, many nerds are running out of hygienic products, but they say that's "not an issue."

Shed a Little Light 03-21-2020 12:02 PM

Mood. Big ****in' mood

Shed a Little Light 03-21-2020 12:03 PM

I drank wine and tried to play Jackbox with some discord friends last night. It didn't work at all, but the hilarious memories of our boomer-ass failure will warm me on my deathbed.

Some future, far-distant death bed, I'm saying.

Breadmaker 03-21-2020 12:35 PM

Some of the craft brewers and distillers in my area are now making hand sanitizer full-time!!! :clap: :tup: