Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Careers - Employment (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Self employed as a consulting actuary (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=328859)

T-roy 12-21-2017 10:00 AM

Self employed as a consulting actuary

I'm going to, soon, go out on my own and start my own consulting business/work for myself. I am setting up an LLC, updating my linkedin page, making a website, FB page and separate checking account ect.

As I am doing this I am wondering how important it is to call myself "President", "Owner, "Consultant", "CEO". It seems redundant. I work for myself and I really don't care to call myself anything other than a "Consultant". FSA and experience says it all. If it drums up business by someone searching for "President Actuary" then I will do it. However, I don't think it would.

Also, for the separate checking account, would a bank like me to call myself a "President/CEO".

Thoughts? Thanks!

SlowMotionWalter 12-21-2017 10:09 AM

HNIC

I'm sure it matters to some people, so :popcorn: on what some of the title-lovers on here think.

Goldenhands 12-21-2017 10:54 AM

Been there, done that. My lawyer recommended a good accountant that did me a lot of good when setting things up and dealing the finances. This includes what you are talking about amongst a myriad of other things.

Wigmeister General 12-21-2017 11:15 AM

Prospective clients don't care about titles

Colonel Smoothie 12-21-2017 11:21 AM

Call yourself what you want, but I'm really interested in your startup.

What are your main motivations on going out on your own, and what services do you provide?

BruteForce 12-21-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie (Post 9196717)
Call yourself what you want, but I'm really interested in your startup.

What are your main motivations on going out on your own, and what services do you provide?

I have these same questions :popcorn:

JMO 12-21-2017 11:55 AM

Long ago a software guy named himself "Head Honcho" of his company.

T-roy 12-21-2017 11:57 AM

I will talk to an accountant and a lawyer, thanks - good recommendation.

Motivation?
I was let go from a large company from a RIF, and I don't want that to ever happen again.
I'd like to be a presenter at SOA meetings and if I am doing that, then I can drum up business.
I'm already doing it thru Jacobson Group and like the travel.
Hospitals in my area are starting to use Actuarial consultants and have tight budgets. I can be competitive.
I think I am a good communicator, creative enough and a hard worker to do well in consulting.
No daily commute.

I am going to be an Actuarial consultant for Health Insurance and LTC Insurance. I've got 20+ yrs experience, FSA, and have a few niches with SAS programming and finding errors/opportunities, cost saving opportunities, and playing with contracts both on the insurer side and provider side. Living between Chicago and Milwaukee I have a lot of potential clients too. Already have two that requested jobs beginning in 2018. :tup:

Turd Ferguson 12-21-2017 12:22 PM

CEO. Chief Everything Officer.

YetAnotherCareerChanger 12-21-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenhands (Post 9196669)
Been there, done that. My lawyer recommended a good accountant that did me a lot of good when setting things up and dealing the finances. This includes what you are talking about amongst a myriad of other things.

:iatb:

Get a good accountant and consulting a lawyer would probably be a good idea too but the accountant for sure.