Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Careers - Employment (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   hoe should I answer this interview question (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=101609)

jupeisi 01-29-2007 07:28 PM

hoe should I answer this interview question

why do you want to change your career from pension consulting to P&C insurance?

Westley 01-29-2007 07:30 PM

Before I can tell you how you should answer this question, can you tell me why you want to change your career from pension consulting to P&C insurance?

phatadamwa 01-29-2007 08:22 PM

This is getting a little bit ridiculous....but as long as we're on the topic, I keep getting asked this same question by interviewers: "What is your name?" I've tried all sorts of names from the AO, but nobody will hire me. Can you all give me some advice as to what sort of name will impress the interviewer? TIA! :tup:

Westley 01-29-2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phatadamwa (Post 1940804)
I keep getting asked this same question by interviewers: "What is your name?" I've tried all sorts of names from the AO, but nobody will hire me. Can you all give me some advice as to what sort of name will impress the interviewer?

I have always found that using "Westley" works, feel free to try it! :popcorn:

Woodrow 01-29-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phatadamwa (Post 1940804)
This is getting a little bit ridiculous....but as long as we're on the topic, I keep getting asked this same question by interviewers: "What is your name?" I've tried all sorts of names from the AO, but nobody will hire me. Can you all give me some advice as to what sort of name will impress the interviewer? TIA! :tup:

Andy Lang

urysohn 01-29-2007 11:35 PM

Don't listen to the wiseass remarks above. Think of it as a 2-part question.
pension --> P&C
consulting --> company

Tell them you're interested in working on P&C products rather than pensions because there is too much variety in different pension plans and you'd prefer to work on something simpler, like auto. And while it may work for some, consulting hours are just not your cup of tea; you're looking for something with a 40-hour cap.

L. Mo 01-29-2007 11:51 PM

ury, Westley gave perfectly good advice - the OP needs to figure out the answer for him/herself.

urysohn 01-30-2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L. Mo (Post 1941053)
ury, Westley gave perfectly good advice - the OP needs to figure out the answer for him/herself.

well sure, if he or she wants to give an honest answer. But if he or she wants the RIGHT answer, which they clearly do, then they can use mine.

silverfox 01-30-2007 01:38 AM

I think there's some punctuation missing in the tittle. It should be "Hoe, should I answer this interview question?"

cincinnatikid 01-30-2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urysohn (Post 1941081)
well sure, if he or she wants to give an honest answer. But if he or she wants the RIGHT answer, which they clearly do, then they can use mine.

1) The question is actually a 3-part question:
- What do you know about Pension Consulting?
- What do you know about P&C Insurance?
- What features of P&C insurance are more attractive to you than Pension Consulting?

2) The point of the question is not to have a right answer. It's to impress upon the interviewer that the person has thought out why they want to switch fields and convince them that P&C Insurance is really where this person wants to be. The interviewer wants some knowledge that 6 months down the road, someone else won't be asking this same person "Why do you want to switch from P&C Insurance to Health Consulting?"

3) Your answer is far from right. Come into an interview with me and tell me that you want to work on my stuff because it's simple, I'll end the interview and show you the door right there.

4) As to name, go with either Max Power or Smooth Criminal.