Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=312)
-   -   Brandon Sanderson Appreciation and Discussion Thread (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=305247)

Bingboing 02-10-2016 10:02 AM

Brandon Sanderson Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Seems like this needs to be made. He has a fairly large following on here and sometimes I think we clog up the "What are you reading" Thread.

Discuss the Cosmere and anything else you want.

I still plan to post what I read in the other thread, but figure we can try to keep the lengthy discussion about things to this thread.

Also, no spoilers? I'm going to assume you've read everything if you're in here.

Works:
Cosmere
Elantris
The Emperor's Soul
Mistborn 1-6
Warbreaker
Stormlight Archive (The Way of Kings and The Words of Radiance)
Novellas:
Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
Sixth of the Dusk

Others:
Defending Elysium
Alcatraz Series
The Rithmatist
Wheel of Time (last 3 books)
Infinity Blade X2 (based on app game)
Legion X2
The Reckoners
Firstborn
Perfect State

Bingboing 02-10-2016 10:04 AM

Reserved for some reason.

Bicycle Repair Man 02-10-2016 10:23 AM

He did a good job finishing The Wheel of Time. I feel like I should read something he wrote based on his own idea, but I haven't yet gotten around to it. What would you recommend to a WoT fan?

Bingboing 02-10-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Repair Man (Post 8413848)
He did a good job finishing The Wheel of Time. I feel like I should read something he wrote based on his own idea, but I haven't yet gotten around to it. What would you recommend to a WoT fan?

IF you're looking for something that's finished, I'd recommend the original Mistborn Trilogy. If you're looking for his best works, I'd say the Stormlight Archive (The Way of Kings and The Words of Radiance). He's writing book 3 of 10 currently.

I'm going to probably edit my first or second post with a list of his works.

CuriousGeorge 02-10-2016 10:30 AM

Elantris was the first "pure-Sanderson" book I read. Very good read, and it stands alone, so you aren't investing yourself in a mega-epic.

Legion is an interesting series of two novellas.

The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive) is awesome, but it is very Robert Jordan-esque, in that development takes a loooong time. You are engaged the whole time, but at the same time, I kept saying to myself, "Okay, start learning and using your superpowers already!"

Bingboing 02-11-2016 08:57 AM

Just finished Mistborn:Secret History and then made the mistake of going to the 17th shard to see what I missed...and I missed so much. That place is crazy with how much they know.

Abelian Grape 02-11-2016 09:30 AM

Brandon Sanderson sounds like a Bernie Sanders alias.

MightySchoop 02-11-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingboing (Post 8415290)
Just finished Mistborn:Secret History and then made the mistake of going to the 17th shard to see what I missed...and I missed so much. That place is crazy with how much they know.

Never underestimate the amount of crazy obsession on the internet.

MightySchoop 02-11-2016 10:04 AM

3rd and final book in the Reckoners series comes out next week.

Hagbard Celine 02-11-2016 11:38 AM

It's not my intention to bring hate to this thread, I have an honest question. I'm halfway through Elantris right now, which is my first Sanderson book and I'm not sure I love it. His writing seems very naive - his good guys are too good and his bad guys are too bad...there's not a lot of nuance. The plot took a little while to pick up steam, but I think it's going to be interesting as it unfolds.

I guess my question is, I realize this was one of (if not THE) first books he wrote - did he mature as a writer with time? Did anyone have similar feelings about Elantris when they read it? I want to give the guy a chance because of all the love he has here, but if all his books are written like this he may just not be my cup of tea.