Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Bringing up future exams in an interview (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=312172)

angryleslieknope 08-11-2016 03:21 PM

Bringing up future exams in an interview

I have a phone interview for a job that wanted "at least 2" exams. I have 2. I'm not currently studying for a third (I wanted to focus fully on getting a job, and for a variety of reasons I'm worried a third exam would price me out of EL actuarial jobs).

That said, I'm reasonably confident that I could pass MFE in November if given enough lead time on starting to study for it.

My question is this - should I volunteer that I'm willing to start studying for MFE before I start the job? Or since they wanted two exams, should I wait for someone else to bring it up and follow their lead?

redearedslider 08-11-2016 03:27 PM

Pricing you out is a single reason and IMO not a valid one. I wouldn't say that you aren't studying currently during the interview though

angryleslieknope 08-11-2016 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redearedslider (Post 8645412)
Pricing you out is a single reason and IMO not a valid one. I wouldn't say that you aren't studying currently during the interview though

Pricing out was a concern mentioned to me by a recruiter and by a family friend who is an FSA, so I listened to that. They both seemed concerned that 3 exams + master's degree + an insurance internship + 2 years of analytical full time work experience might have scared some potential employers off of a low level analyst. Maybe I shouldn't have taken that feedback at face value.

But there's also the part where I don't get study support in my current job and so I'm not sure there are enough hours in the day to do the job I already have, study for an exam, and look for a new job.

AO Fan Fan 08-11-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angryleslieknope (Post 8645391)
I'm worried a third exam would price me out of EL actuarial jobs

This is a very stupid thing to think.

redearedslider 08-11-2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angryleslieknope (Post 8645441)
Pricing out was a concern mentioned to me by a recruiter and by a family friend who is an FSA, so I listened to that. They both seemed concerned that 3 exams + master's degree + an insurance internship + 2 years of analytical full time work experience might have scared some potential employers off of a low level analyst. Maybe I shouldn't have taken that feedback at face value.

But there's also the part where I don't get study support in my current job and so I'm not sure there are enough hours in the day to do the job I already have, study for an exam, and look for a new job.

its not the exams its the salary. if you make 80k right now they aren't going to waste time interviewing you for a position that pays 60k.

WillTreaty 08-11-2016 03:43 PM

To add one data point to the mix, in my interview (current job) I said I had stopped after two exams because I read that you didn't want to have an imbalance between exams and experience (I was a career changer). This was met very positively and I got the job.

angryleslieknope 08-11-2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AO Fan Fan (Post 8645448)
This is a very stupid thing to think.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm very stupid in the ways of finding an actuarial job, but I guess I put my faith in advice from the wrong sources.

angryleslieknope 08-11-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillTreaty (Post 8645463)
To add one data point to the mix, in my interview (current job) I said I had stopped after two exams because I read that you didn't want to have an imbalance between exams and experience (I was a career changer). This was met very positively and I got the job.

Yeah, I'm hoping it'll go something like that.

And to redearedslider's point, I'm avoiding mentioning salary on any applications unless it forces me to enter a numerical value.

redearedslider 08-11-2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillTreaty (Post 8645463)

"We thought about it a lot and even though we believe you to be the best candidate experience and personality wise we decided to go with someone else since they have 1 less exam than you do and we couldn't afford the extra 2k a year"

how long was the gap between your 2nd exam and the interview?

WillTreaty 08-11-2016 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redearedslider (Post 8645472)
"We thought about it a lot and even though we believe you to be the best candidate experience and personality wise we decided to go with someone else since they have 1 less exam than you do and we couldn't afford the extra 2k a year"

how long was the gap between your 2nd exam and the interview?

Almost a year.