Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   General Actuarial (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What % of people who pass the first actuarial exam... (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=329541)

Pension.Mathematics 01-24-2018 11:15 AM

What % of people who pass the first actuarial exam...

end up being an FSA or FCAS within 10 years?

based on some quick napkin math, I have a guess that it's less than 20%!

Anyone?

ronaldy27 01-24-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pension.Mathematics (Post 9221327)
end up being an FSA or FCAS within 10 years?

based on some quick napkin math, I have a guess that it's less than 20%!

Anyone?

Why does this matter?
I'm assuming it's not high.

JMO 01-24-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronaldy27 (Post 9221341)
Why does this matter?
I'm assuming it's not high.

I would really like to know what the person who asked the question would do with the answer if it was available.
The professional organizations do not make this information available. And I think they are right in that decision.

Pension.Mathematics 01-24-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMO (Post 9221345)
I would really like to know what the person who asked the question would do with the answer if it was available.
The professional organizations do not make this information available. And I think they are right in that decision.

I am sure some kind of drop-out rate analysis could be done to get a ballpark figure...

but I am curious, what harm would be associated with making that information available?

If it's a low number, it would make the designation itself seem more prestigious, no?

If both SOA and CAS provided that information, we would also be able to compare the relative difficulties of FSA and FCAS, no?

why would more transparency hurt anyone?

Abnormal 01-24-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMO (Post 9221345)
The professional organizations do not make this information available.

True - they do look at travel time but they don't consider what percentage of candidates actually "stick it out" to become Fellows of the relevant organization, let alone how many of them actually do it within a particular time frame.

Trying to measure from the first exam doesn't make a lot of sense either. I was a math major and when I was in grad school a number of my friends wrote the old Parts 1 and 2 because they didn't know what they were going to do after finishing their degrees and it was something to do (besides, they could write those exams cold and pass without too much difficulty). Only one of them went on to even take an actuarial job let alone become a Fellow. [I didn't write - I just applied for credit for Part 1 based on my GRE results. And didn't actually sit an exam for another 5 years.]

ronaldy27 01-24-2018 11:43 AM

Is it very important to make career decisions based on prestige and whether the career path is difficult or not?

Even with the answer to what you're asking, you won't be able to make a good decision if those are the factors you're considering.

Choose the path that interests you. The exam process is long.

I did hear from the former president of SOA mention that only 10% who pass P, end up being an FSA IIRC.

SlowMotionWalter 01-24-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronaldy27 (Post 9221382)
Is it very important to make career decisions based on prestige and whether the career path is difficult or not?

Even with the answer to what you're asking, you won't be able to make a good decision if those are the factors you're considering.

Choose the path that interests you. The exam process is long.

I did hear from the former president of SOA mention that only 10% who pass P, end up being an FSA IIRC.

10% sounds insanely high.

NormalDan 01-24-2018 11:46 AM

I have the biggest button

ronaldy27 01-24-2018 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormalDan (Post 9221389)
I have the biggest button

Yeah but is it on your desk though?

JoeGot 01-24-2018 11:48 AM

http://www.actuarial-lookup.com/travel-times