Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Non-Actuarial Topics (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Are you letting anyone in your home? (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=347376)

IMP 03-28-2020 11:44 PM

Are you letting anyone in your home?
 
I still have my maid come. I’m about to have an a/c maintenance guy here. I have a family member taking time visiting his friend in Boca and will stay with me on his drive back. My brother thinks I’m nuts and stupid for letting anyone in my house. I understand his concern but I think keeping distance from them will be fine.

Lucy 03-29-2020 12:46 AM

Shared communal surfaces, like doorknobs, the handles of the fridge and the faucet are a concern, it's not just how close you are.

No, I'm not letting anyone else in my home right now.

tommie frazier 03-29-2020 01:10 AM

nope.my cousin stopped by the house and walked in while my wife was aghast and told him to stay the f in the doorway. but she was pissed he walked in without being invited (which wouldn't be bad in normal times).

NerdAlert 03-29-2020 01:11 AM

Yes, if they are related to fostering as we canít deny them access. And if we get a placement we will have them in our home of course.

Also we are letting one family in our home, as our neighbor friend is a nurse and needs childcare one day a week and we are helping out.

Otherwise, no.

Could you offer to pay for a hotel for the relative? Seems like a risky move right now to have them stay with you.

ao fan 03-29-2020 01:34 AM

I haven't, but I don't generally have people over in normal times anyway. i'm not like hugely social.

i'd like to get cable during this whole stay at home order, but my building has rules in place during this which includes no work done on your apartment, which i'm assuming the cable guy falls under, so no cable.

but, I can get the Cuomo press briefing on the internet, so that's mostly what I wanna see anyway.

dgtatum 03-29-2020 04:57 AM

We haven't but I do have a friend from Atlanta coming to spend the week with us in a week or 2. He is single and super bored.

Jasper07734 03-29-2020 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ao fan (Post 9836916)
I haven't, but I don't generally have people over in normal times anyway. i'm not like hugely social.

Jaspess and I aren't big have people over people either.

Incredible Hulctuary 03-29-2020 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ao fan (Post 9836916)
i'd like to get cable during this whole stay at home order, but my building has rules in place during this which includes no work done on your apartment, which i'm assuming the cable guy falls under, so no cable.

So just get Sling TV, YouTube TV, or another streaming TV service with the channels you want. Your cable TV provider may also offer a streaming-only package that doesn't involve a cable box or technician inside your apartment.

Whiskey 03-29-2020 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgtatum (Post 9836919)
We haven't but I do have a friend from Atlanta coming to spend the week with us in a week or 2. He is single and super bored.

This doesn't seem like a good idea, imo.

Whiskey 03-29-2020 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary (Post 9836927)
So just get Sling TV, YouTube TV, or another streaming TV service with the channels you want. Your cable TV provider may also offer a streaming-only package that doesn't involve a cable box or technician inside your apartment.

:iatp:

Kid Rock 03-29-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ao fan (Post 9836916)
I haven't, but I don't generally have people over in normal times anyway. i'm not like hugely social.

i'd like to get cable during this whole stay at home order, but my building has rules in place during this which includes no work done on your apartment, which i'm assuming the cable guy falls under, so no cable.

but, I can get the Cuomo press briefing on the internet, so that's mostly what I wanna see anyway.

It may be possible to order cable, get account set up and then stream on app. Fios and Xfinity both have app to watch all channels.

yoyo 03-29-2020 10:01 AM

nope

Arthur Itas 03-29-2020 10:06 AM

In general, no. No one has been in my house. However if the fridge/HVAC/washer broke I'd have to get them fixed. Same with a busted pipe or a similar event.

Some douchebag came knocking on my door a week or so ago. He had a clipboard in his hand so assume he was probably looking for money for some cause. He respectfully stood 10 feet back when I opened the door. I just said "No" before he could get a word in and he turned around and left.

BlackPhillip 03-29-2020 10:12 AM

Q: Are you letting anyone in your home?
A: No.

Patience 03-29-2020 10:16 AM

haven't been.

If I needed service on something I would

Gandalf 03-29-2020 10:32 AM

So far, our adult daughter, yes. She's returning to her home today, to an area with somewhat move exposure than here, to a job that will involve some interaction with people, in a business deemed essential. Unclear whether we will let her return anytime soon. Certainly not if symptomatic, probably not if risk increases where she'll be. Next potential visit here is in 2 weeks, as her employer currently has employees 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. She and we have tried to be careful this visit, and since she is still asymptomatic, we probably dodged the bullet this time.

No one else has been in the house.

Mildly :tfh: to me, but each must judge the risks for themselves: My wife and her best friend had been taking walks outside together, remaining 6 feet apart and from everyone else. Friend decided that since we let the daughter come home, no more walks together (even with social distancing) until 2 weeks after that. Whether it's 2 weeks from when the daughter got here, or 2 weeks from today when she leaves, unclear.

Gandalf 03-29-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gandalf (Post 9836962)
Next potential visit here is in 2 weeks, as her employer currently has employees 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off. She and we have tried to be careful this visit, and since she is still asymptomatic, we probably dodged the bullet this time.

Just corrected by wife and daughter, even though they didn't see this post. Next potential visit is for the weekend 4 weeks from now. That would be after her 2 weeks on the job, 2 weeks at her home out only for essential shopping or maybe exercise walks, then possibly here for the weekend if still asymptomatic.

IMP 03-29-2020 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy (Post 9836906)
Shared communal surfaces, like doorknobs, the handles of the fridge and the faucet are a concern, it's not just how close you are.

No, I'm not letting anyone else in my home right now.

Good point. Hmmm.

chicken_po_boy 03-29-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMP (Post 9836891)
I still have my maid come. Iím about to have an a/c maintenance guy here. I have a family member taking time visiting his friend in Boca and will stay with me on his drive back. My brother thinks Iím nuts and stupid for letting anyone in my house. I understand his concern but I think keeping distance from them will be fine.

Your brother's concerns are valid

3rookie 03-29-2020 12:19 PM

Good topic.

No

Lusus Naturae 03-29-2020 12:30 PM

None.

Incredible Hulctuary 03-29-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMP (Post 9836891)
I still have my maid come. Iím about to have an a/c maintenance guy here. I have a family member taking time visiting his friend in Boca and will stay with me on his drive back. My brother thinks Iím nuts and stupid for letting anyone in my house. I understand his concern but I think keeping distance from them will be fine.

Your whole paragraph could be reduced to "I'm gonna get infected."

ao fan 03-29-2020 01:12 PM

in my building, normally the building staff services the filters in the central air units in march before switching over from heat to ac for the summer. as of now, they haven't done it. i'm guessing they are putting off doing stuff like that due to COVID-19 risk.

unsure if they will fix things if they break in my apartment. hopefully nothing breaks.

Walking Man 03-29-2020 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary (Post 9837015)
Your whole paragraph could be reduced to "I'm gonna get infected."

Sung to the tune of "I Wanna Be Sedated"

yoyo 03-29-2020 01:17 PM

please check out this thread

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=347380

Westley 03-29-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy (Post 9836906)
No, I'm not letting anyone else in my home right now.

:iatp:


Quote:

Originally Posted by NerdAlert (Post 9836911)
Yes, if they are related to fostering as we canít deny them access. And if we get a placement we will have them in our home of course.

Also we are letting one family in our home, as our neighbor friend is a nurse and needs childcare one day a week and we are helping out.

Anybody tell you lately how awesome you are? You're probably the #1 poster that makes me say "someday I'll be that good of a person (but probably not)".


Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Rock (Post 9836941)
It may be possible to order cable, get account set up and then stream on app. Fios and Xfinity both have app to watch all channels.

Also, many tvs will allow you to stream these to your phone and then mirror them to your tv (so, tv will just show whatever is on your phone). Basically, if you have the internet bandwidth, you have a million options to watch whatever you want.

ao fan 03-29-2020 01:53 PM

I have a dumb tv, but I might look into that streaming option for my laptop until I get around to getting a smart tv.

Incredible Hulctuary 03-29-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ao fan (Post 9837043)
I have a dumb tv, but I might look into that streaming option for my laptop until I get around to getting a smart tv.

Much cheaper and easier to get a Roku, Fire TV, or Chromecast than to replace your TV (unless you were planning to replace the TV anyway to get 4K or a bigger screen or some other feature).

ao fan 03-29-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary (Post 9837051)
Much cheaper and easier to get a Roku, Fire TV, or Chromecast than to replace your TV (unless you were planning to replace the TV anyway to get 4K or a bigger screen or some other feature).

is it? I didn't think that tv's were that expensive.

Arthur Itas 03-29-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ao fan (Post 9837055)
is it? I didn't think that tv's were that expensive.

They aren't, but firestick and chromecast are dirt cheap.

Incredible Hulctuary 03-29-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ao fan (Post 9837055)
is it? I didn't think that tv's were that expensive.

The streaming devices I just mentioned range from $40 to $120 depending on the specific model and features (e.g. the cheaper Fire TV stick is wifi-only, whereas Fire TV cube has an option for ethernet cable).

DyalDragon 03-29-2020 02:12 PM

FireTV is great. Get the larger box and not the stick though. Same for Roku. The sticks take longer to start up and to load whenever you want to watch something, and the price difference isn't that much.

ao fan 03-29-2020 02:19 PM

is this what you're refering to?

https://www.amazon.com/all-new-fire-...5505838&sr=8-2

Patience 03-29-2020 02:22 PM

my wife just got back. Should I let her in?

IMP 03-29-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patience (Post 9837074)
my wife just got back. Should I let her in?

:lol:

Westley 03-29-2020 02:27 PM

I did cancel cleaning lady this week, she came two weeks ago. She's illegal so it was hard to figure out how to pay her - I had to ask her to have her daughter explain Zelle lol

My place is going to be a disaster when she comes next.

ReserveRage 03-29-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westley (Post 9837078)
I did cancel cleaning lady this week, she came two weeks ago. She's illegal so it was hard to figure out how to pay her - I had to ask her to have her daughter explain Zelle lol

My place is going to be a disaster when she comes next.

I just did the same. Feel bad because I think sheís desperate and offered to wear masks, gloves, shoe protection, etc., but I still said no way.

General Apathy 03-29-2020 03:02 PM

Letting the cleaners in for sure. Also need some plumbing work done. Because the cleaners broke something.

Shed a Little Light 03-29-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReserveRage (Post 9837089)
I just did the same. Feel bad because I think sheís desperate and offered to wear masks, gloves, shoe protection, etc., but I still said no way.

If you do feel bad, you could possibly find a way to keep paying her what you would pay her regularly during the crisis, and perhaps she "owes" you the work when things open up again. I see a lot of discussions about this kind of thing on my city's subreddit - people are wanting to find a way to keep funding services that they don't want to see go under.

Incredible Hulctuary 03-29-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ao fan (Post 9837072)

Yes, that's the Fire TV cube.

Personally I prefer the Roku's interface and remote, after having used an older version of the Fire TV box. Now I'm using the 2019 model of the Roku Ultra, currently selling for $84 (https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streamin...dp/B07WVF9SL5/).


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Page generated in 0.41265 seconds with 9 queries