Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Investment / Financial Markets (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   March 2020 IFM Exam (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=345507)

MemorizingFormulas 12-19-2019 08:01 AM

March & July 2020 IFM Exam

I'll start the thread. I passed FM today and am planning to take IFM in March. I'll use ASM study manual because Abraham Weishaus's another ASM manual helped me to pass C.

But I'll be working as a part-time actuarial intern starting from Jan 1. So I'm not sure if I have enough time to study for IFM.

MemorizingFormulas 12-21-2019 11:49 AM

I'll report my study progress in this thread frequently.

I aim to go through the first 3 lessons of ASM tomorrow. They are materials that I've learnt in basic finance courses and Exam C.

MemorizingFormulas 12-21-2019 11:55 AM

And considering that the manual contains 31 lessons, I aim to finish the first 10 lessons (one-third of the manual) before 6 January, the start of the coming semester.

Since the registration deadline is 11 Feb and I better register two weeks before the deadline, I aim to finish the first 20 lessons before 28 Jan.

RedSoxJSS 12-23-2019 09:32 AM

I would say its doable, but it really comes down to how you use your time over the next few months.

Regarding the ASM manual, just note that Sections 2-13 are related to Corporate Finance (and are somewhat cumulative) and Sections 14-31 are related to Derivatives (and again are somewhat cumulative). So once you pass section 13, you will need to review (or in some way maintain) the knowledge of the prior sections while you are learning the Derivatives section of the manual.

Hope this helps.

MemorizingFormulas 12-25-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSoxJSS (Post 9775515)
I would say its doable, but it really comes down to how you use your time over the next few months.

Regarding the ASM manual, just note that Sections 2-13 are related to Corporate Finance (and are somewhat cumulative) and Sections 14-31 are related to Derivatives (and again are somewhat cumulative). So once you pass section 13, you will need to review (or in some way maintain) the knowledge of the prior sections while you are learning the Derivatives section of the manual.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your advice. It helps.

Not Paul 12-25-2019 11:56 AM

Having also recently passed FM, I am aiming to pass IFM in July. Lots going on this spring and I don't want to put unnecessary pressure on myself.

Congratulations on landing the internship!

MemorizingFormulas 12-28-2019 12:03 PM

I have read up to and including Ch7, without doing any exercises. I will start doing exercises after I finish the first 13 chapters.

MemorizingFormulas 01-08-2020 11:39 AM

I have just finished studying ASM up to chapter 13 (i.e. the corporate finance part of IFM), without having done any exercises.

I feel that I'm quite behind schedule for the March sitting. The intern job plus university classes make me lazy in my spare time. Maybe I should consider the July sitting to make me feel less stressed... Do you have any advice to me?

Telewreck 01-21-2020 01:53 PM

I want to take the exam in March as well. So far I am on chapter 17 and went through all the exercises. I am doing 1 chapter a night during the weekdays and leaving the weekends open for review. I am using the new ASM manual too! Best of Luck!!

Corey

Taemisung1 02-04-2020 10:12 AM

What level adapt exams do you recommend grinding out? I'm doing level 6, but I get roughly 5 10+ questions that are just unreasonable. Keep ending up with like 18 out of 30