Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   General Actuarial (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Valuation Actuary Symposium 2017 (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=325867)

dunnigan 08-24-2017 05:41 PM

Valuation Actuary Symposium 2017
 
Bring an umbrella? Maybe a boat?

Any experienced travelers want to weigh in on how much rain might keep flights from landing in San Antonio?

wat? 08-24-2017 05:45 PM

Still planning to travel, hoping for the best. Thankfully, it's not in Houston.

I did get a notification today from American Airlines asking if I wanted to change flights, and that they'd waive the change fee.

LoneGirl 08-25-2017 02:02 PM

I was originally supposed to connect through Houston but got that changed. My plan right now is to monitor the situation tomorrow and Sunday morning (my flight doesn't leave til Sunday afternoon). If things look bad in San Antonio or if most/all flights are getting cancelled, I'll probably back out. My thinking is that after the storm hits land, we might have a better idea of how bad S.A. is going to be.

wat? 08-25-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneGirl (Post 9078124)
I was originally supposed to connect through Houston but got that changed. My plan right now is to monitor the situation tomorrow and Sunday morning (my flight doesn't leave til Sunday afternoon). If things look bad in San Antonio or if most/all flights are getting cancelled, I'll probably back out. My thinking is that after the storm hits land, we might have a better idea of how bad S.A. is going to be.

Pretty much.

I called the hotel, and they are waiving the cancellation cost if you cancel your reservation. The rep also mentioned that there have already been a number of cancellations due to Hurricane Harvey.

Minnesotah 08-25-2017 02:41 PM

I see this is now on the SOA website:

Update on the Valuation Actuary Symposium: Hurricane Harvey may reach landfall on the Texas coast by Saturday, followed by heavy rain in the San Antonio area this weekend. The safety of our members and attendees are of the utmost importance to us. At this time, the symposium will continue as scheduled. We are closely monitoring the weather and will provide further updates as necessary. We will refund registration fees for those who must cancel as a result of the weather in Texas.

LoneGirl 08-25-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wat? (Post 9078165)
Pretty much.

I called the hotel, and they are waiving the cancellation cost if you cancel your reservation. The rep also mentioned that there have already been a number of cancellations due to Hurricane Harvey.

My coworker is already there (went early for vacation....bet that's fun) and the hotel told her "don't worry, we have generators and we've never flooded. You'll be fine". My boss asked me how many days I would be out of the office next week. I said "Two...or maybe none...or maybe 5.....".

wat? 08-25-2017 05:18 PM

Email just went out from the SOA - final call will be made at 9am CST tomorrow.

rhoucag 08-25-2017 06:13 PM

Best case scenario I think - Harvey quickly weakens and largely misses San Antonio. Still lots of wind and rain though. Half of the people don't show - making the sessions essentially 45 minutes instead of 75.

Doesn't seem worth the risk of the worse scenarios right?

rhoucag 08-25-2017 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhoucag (Post 9078401)
Best case scenario I think - Harvey quickly weakens and largely misses San Antonio. Still lots of wind and rain though. Half of the people don't show - making the sessions essentially 45 minutes instead of 75.

Doesn't seem worth the risk of the worse scenarios right?

Hmm, I post this and minutes later it got cancelled. At least someone is listening to my risk presentations

LoneGirl 08-25-2017 06:48 PM

Cancellation was probably for the best (except for my two coworkers who are already there...they can hunker down in the hotel and eat all the conference food we would have eaten, they should be fine). Kinda glad I don't have to spend my entire Sunday now watching for flight updates and worrying I'll be stuck in my connecting city.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Page generated in 0.10228 seconds with 9 queries