Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Make a Suggestion or Report a Problem Here (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Issues Registering (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=332163)

STLIrish 05-10-2018 01:17 PM

Issues Registering

Hello,

I've created an alternate username by registering 10 days ago and still can't post anything from it. I've used the contact us feature of this website multiple times but haven't gotten a response. I also PM'ed Tom and haven't gotten response in days. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get help?

Thanks!

ao fan 05-10-2018 01:50 PM

it takes a while for id's to be approved because Tom doesn't do it that often and he's the only person who has the ability to approve new id's. if you look at the member list and sort by join date, the most recently registered date for any user was 4/25, so any id's registered after 4/25 have not been approved yet.

Childish Gambino 05-10-2018 01:56 PM

why would anyone need an alternate username?

ao fan 05-10-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Childish Gambino (Post 9319427)

yeah, no idea. seems very odd.

All Tidy 05-10-2018 02:14 PM

It's about being all tidy. ;)

Vorian Atreides 05-10-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Childish Gambino (Post 9319427)

:iatp:

If you need greater anonymity, create an alt.

STLIrish 05-11-2018 12:27 AM

Thanks. I'll wait for Tom to approve then.

Isn't alternate username the same thing as alt? I don't come to this site often so enlighten me if there's a better way than creating a new account.

Vorian Atreides 05-11-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STLIrish (Post 9320386)
Thanks. I'll wait for Tom to approve then.

Isn't alternate username the same thing as alt? I don't come to this site often so enlighten me if there's a better way than creating a new account.

Technically, yes. :-P

But it's the AO. So . . .

As to the latter query, it often helps to have a "solid" presence where you're "well known" and demonstrate a modicum of professionalism and you'll usually get an alt approved without much issue.

It can still take time. Or so I've heard :tfh:

ao fan 05-11-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides (Post 9320437)
Technically, yes. :-P

But it's the AO. So . . .

As to the latter query, it often helps to have a "solid" presence where you're "well known" and demonstrate a modicum of professionalism and you'll usually get an alt approved without much issue.

It can still take time. Or so I've heard :tfh:

i'm not sure what your middle part means. don't all alts basically get approved for everyone, unless you're permabanned from the site? Tom approves id's in batches.

STLIrish 05-14-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ao fan (Post 9319410)
it takes a while for id's to be approved because Tom doesn't do it that often and he's the only person who has the ability to approve new id's. if you look at the member list and sort by join date, the most recently registered date for any user was 4/25, so any id's registered after 4/25 have not been approved yet.

I still can't post anything from my new account that I created 2 weeks ago and it gives me this error message...

"Your user account may not be approved yet. If you just recently registered in the past 24 hours, this is more than likely the problem. Please wait for your registration to be approved. You will receive an email once it has been approved."

Which presumes that they used to approve usernames each day. If the new policy is that they approve them in batches, maybe they should update the wording to say 24 days instead of 24 hours. That would be more accurate.