Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Brigham Young University (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   BYU Grad working in Casualty field in Northeast (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=90171)

Levin 08-29-2006 04:42 PM

BYU Grad working in Casualty field in Northeast
 
Just putting myself out here as an contact for any BYU grads looking into casualty actuarial work. I'm currently working in the Northeast, where you will find many actuarial jobs.

Take 2 05-22-2007 06:53 PM

When I was finishing high school (in Salt Lake City, 1968), BYU had no act sci program, but I just wanted a BA in math. When I approached BYU profs, they recommended U of U as having a stronger math program. So I graduated from U of U, but am glad BYU has considerably strengthened its math, stat, & act sci.

BYU sent a statistics prof to Salt Lake for a summer, to the company where I was in my first actuarial position, to learn about actuarial work. He had passed the calculus & prob/stat actuarial exams (Parts 1 & 2 then), so he was qualified to work in the actuarial department. He helped me with my prob/stat, and took what he learned back to BYU to help start its actuarial program. :heynow:

Genki 09-12-2007 10:05 PM

Glad to see there are other fellow Utahns out there. I went to Utah State University as well as U of U for a year. I was disappointed the U of U didn't have an actuarial program when i was there (2002).

I now work for a health/life company in the Chicago area. Any other Chicago area folks from Utah out there?

:popcorn:

soyleche 09-12-2007 10:44 PM

I work in Virginia. If anyone wants to give that a try let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

Also, if any of you have jobs in Utah I may want to use you for the same purpose in a few years, if you don't mind. We want to go back sometime, but aren't actively looking (if not Salt Lake we'd settle for somewhere like Denver or even Portland or Seattle).

STYX Fan 10-21-2009 07:04 PM

Hey working actuaries,
I just graduated this spring with a BS in math from UVU formerly UVSC or UVCC. I was just wondering what the job market is like in each of your areas. Location is not an issue for me. Bottom line is that I need contacts, ie I'm networking, to get somewhere. FYI I have passed exam P and am sitting for FM in Dec.

killakali 06-08-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soyleche (Post 2325424)
I work in Virginia. If anyone wants to give that a try let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

Also, if any of you have jobs in Utah I may want to use you for the same purpose in a few years, if you don't mind. We want to go back sometime, but aren't actively looking (if not Salt Lake we'd settle for somewhere like Denver or even Portland or Seattle).

So as they say most of the good paying actuary jobs are in the metropolitan areas, so is Salt Lake City, UT one of them? Or are we talking about major popular metropolitan areas around the U.S. like LA, New York City, & etc... ?

killakali 06-08-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 1717252)
Just putting myself out here as an contact for any BYU grads looking into casualty actuarial work. I'm currently working in the Northeast, where you will find many actuarial jobs.

Levin - Did you graduate from BYU? If so, were the classes helpful when preparing and taking the first few exams? Also, did you do any internships while attending the Y?

soyleche 06-08-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killakali (Post 4470079)
So as they say most of the good paying actuary jobs are in the metropolitan areas, so is Salt Lake City, UT one of them? Or are we talking about major popular metropolitan areas around the U.S. like LA, New York City, & etc... ?

There are opportunities in SLC, but not many. If you want to stay in the west you'll probably need to look in Portland, Seattle or San Fransisco. Denver and Phoenix to a lesser extent (probably similar to SLC).

Levin 06-11-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killakali (Post 4470089)
Levin - Did you graduate from BYU? If so, were the classes helpful when preparing and taking the first few exams? Also, did you do any internships while attending the Y?

Yes, I graduated in Math in 1998. I did a masters in math, and decided a year after finishing that to join the actuarial profession.

I'm a bad person to ask about specific classes and how they prepared me. I didn't take anything directly related to the field, except math stats class which was a good introduction, but by no means sufficient to pass Exam 4/C.

I would always recommend an internship.

killakali 06-15-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 4479376)
Yes, I graduated in Math in 1998. I did a masters in math, and decided a year after finishing that to join the actuarial profession.

I'm a bad person to ask about specific classes and how they prepared me. I didn't take anything directly related to the field, except math stats class which was a good introduction, but by no means sufficient to pass Exam 4/C.

I would always recommend an internship.

Thanks Levin!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Page generated in 0.16646 seconds with 9 queries