Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   That card g@me that starts with P (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Triple draw 2-7 bluff (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=240683)

chiefofpool 05-18-2012 09:05 AM

Triple draw 2-7 bluff

I need some insight for those who play this game. I tried a move on a Pokerstar Team pro yesterday in a SCOOP 8-game event in TS 2-7 that didn't work and been wondering if there is a better way to pull it.

I just had moved to a new table (very first hand) and I'm on the BB with 2x the average stack size. We're well past the bubble and obviously nobody has info on me since I just got there. Everyone fold to the button who raises, SB fold and I reraise, with the button calling. Button is like a said a Team Pokerstar pro and has just a bit less chips than me. I decided to stand pat with a junk hand and he draws 2. From there, I bet every street and kept standing pat while he drew 2, 2 then 1. He called me in the end with a 10 high!! Lost about half my stack there. This move has worked for me quite well in the past and usually I am only called with 8 low and better.

So here's what I'm wondering. If you want to make such a move, which is better? Betting and standing pat as above, or drawing 1 at the first draw then patting twice? What would be your calling range in each scenario if you're the button?

Hojo 05-18-2012 10:23 AM

Basically he picked up what you were doing right away and you didn't sell it enough. He figured your BB raise against only the button was a posture move since you're new to the table and trying to create an immediate identity and he didn't want to let you get away with it. You needed to hold off a bet midway through (as if you were questioning what he had) and then come back and bet strong convinced that you have the better of it.

He basically read you like a book.

Cohete009 05-18-2012 11:35 AM

Would think you should have drawed 1 card on first draw and then stand pat. He must have had something like 2 3 5 to start and figured he could draw out on your T or J high that you pretended to stand on.

chiefofpool 05-18-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hojo (Post 6019441)
Basically he picked up what you were doing right away and you didn't sell it enough. He figured your BB raise against only the button was a posture move since you're new to the table and trying to create an immediate identity and he didn't want to let you get away with it. You needed to hold off a bet midway through (as if you were questioning what he had) and then come back and bet strong convinced that you have the better of it.

He basically read you like a book.

I know he read me like a book. This is clearly a polarized strategy to use. I use this with total air and with strong 9-low or better. Nobody with his right mind would believe his 10-low is good there, its only a bluff catcher.

So that's why I'm asking if the Draw one/Pat/Pat would sell it better, on average. This was basically the first time I got called with anything worse than 8 low there so I'm questionning my method.

mlschop 05-18-2012 11:37 AM

Man I wish there was a place to play some live TD2-7 in AC...

chiefofpool 05-18-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohete009 (Post 6019877)
Would think you should have drawed 1 card on first draw and then stand pat. He must have had something like 2 3 5 to start and figured he could draw out on your T or J high that you pretended to stand on.

Seriously, some people stand pat 3 times with T or J ?? If I'm not bluffing, my cutoff would be 97XXX to make this move. I'll try to run some numbers some day with an opponent drawing 2 to the nuts on the first draw.

chiefofpool 05-18-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlschop (Post 6019890)
Man I wish there was a place to play some live TD2-7 in AC...

Or online for you guys!!

Yesterday's $27 8-game had 3000 ppl and was very soft.

win diesel 05-18-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefofpool (Post 6019154)
I need some insight for those who play this game. I tried a move on a Pokerstar Team pro yesterday in a SCOOP 8-game event in TS 2-7 that didn't work and been wondering if there is a better way to pull it.

I just had moved to a new table (very first hand) and I'm on the BB with 2x the average stack size. We're well past the bubble and obviously nobody has info on me since I just got there. Everyone fold to the button who raises, SB fold and I reraise, with the button calling. Button is like a said a Team Pokerstar pro and has just a bit less chips than me. I decided to stand pat with a junk hand and he draws 2. From there, I bet every street and kept standing pat while he drew 2, 2 then 1. He called me in the end with a 10 high!! Lost about half my stack there. This move has worked for me quite well in the past and usually I am only called with 8 low and better.

So here's what I'm wondering. If you want to make such a move, which is better? Betting and standing pat as above, or drawing 1 at the first draw then patting twice? What would be your calling range in each scenario if you're the button?

In a limit game you are getting good odds to call the river

When I try snowing it's in position. You know how many cards they are drawing and
1) Have a better idea initially if it will work
2) Can have option to abort and draw at some point
3) Can save a bet on end if the guy comes out betting

So, a decent time is when you open late with a marginal hand..draw one to say a rough 8 or 9...and the other guy draws 2 or 3. If you miss, just stay pat and snow

win diesel 05-18-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefofpool (Post 6019887)
So that's why I'm asking if the Draw one/Pat/Pat would sell it better,

When I snow, this is how I do it

chiefofpool 05-18-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by win diesel (Post 6019954)
When I snow, this is how I do it

I shall not make that same mistake twice then. I'll keep the Pat/Pat/Pat for the real hands.