Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Careers - Employment (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Opting for a video interview instead of in person (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=340492)

hostess 05-13-2019 01:28 PM

Opting for a video interview instead of in person

Let’s say a company invites you in for an on-site but won’t pay for your travel. Let’s say that a flight would be necessary and you being a student, dont wanna fork out 200 dollars and ask for a video interview.

Would this look negatively on you as a candidate when other candidates are going onsite. The other candidates are all local so the candidates can pay for their own travel accommodations (cheap public transport).

Asking for a friend. Should my friend fork out the 200 bucks and fly over for an interview which may or may not even lead to an offer? Or will most people be understanding enough to not look down on a video interview?

Hello, My Baby 05-13-2019 01:33 PM

A company being so cheap as not willing to pay for travel is a HUGE red flag. What other costs are they skimping on? They should be looking at candidates as making a large investment; if they won't invest in you to see if you're the right fit, why would you want to work there?

hostess 05-13-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hello, My Baby (Post 9622938)
A company being so cheap as not willing to pay for travel is a HUGE red flag. What other costs are they skimping on? They should be looking at candidates as making a large investment; if they won't invest in you to see if you're the right fit, why would you want to work there?

Yeah that’s what I thought too. And this is a company known to be one of the best paying in the industry.

To be fair they only recruit from local schools and my friend happened to take a quarter off, so I guess their reasoning is “we only recruit locally so we shouldn’t have to pay for flight travels”. I can expect this from a regional insurer but I was surprised to see it from a top level company.

mathmajor 05-13-2019 01:47 PM

HMB is right. DO NOT do any uncompensated travel for interviews. Period, end of story. When being compensated, ask how booking should be done and who should pay/how reimbursement happens.

ETA: except if you travel to a fair or something

LifeIsAPoissonProcess 05-13-2019 01:48 PM

$200 for a chance at full-time employment? Sign me up.

Dr T Non-Fan 05-13-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeIsAPoissonProcess (Post 9622973)

And, how many times are you willing to pony up that money?

hostess 05-13-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

I’m guessing you’re a working man? For a student that might be a difficult expense. Also my friend says he already had an offer, so he also isn’t desperate to find a job.

mathmajor 05-13-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

If they won't spend the money on you, but want you to interview in person, my guess is that the chance is pretty slim.

LifeIsAPoissonProcess 05-13-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan (Post 9622980)
And, how many times are you willing to pony up that money?

Depends on the alternatives. If it's my only shot at employment I'd shell out the money til I had a job.

Vorian Atreides 05-13-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hostess (Post 9623009)
Iím guessing youíre a working man? For a student that might be a difficult expense. Also my friend says he already had an offer, so he also isnít desperate to find a job.

So why the worry about "looking negative" for requesting the video/phone interview?