Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Software & Technology (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Excel Shortcut List (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=47963)

Gates Is Antichrist 05-14-2008 06:40 PM

Alignment, justification, etc.:

In pre-2007 (otherwise, you have my sympathies),
alt-O/E/{control-tab to Alignment}/alt-H/J/Enter
eventually gets 'er done, just to point out that it can be done from keyboard. Maybe all of you already knew this so forgive the thread-dumbing diversion if so; and I agree that something direct is desired.

How about decimal "upping" and "downing" - alt-O/E/{control-tab to Number}/alt-D/up/Enter ain't very prime time. Macro (via ctrl-shift-) or custom icon (via alt- accelerator) is all I know of.

TooOldForThis - are you referring to Control-Shift rather than Control keys? I'm just checking if I've missed something. Want to hear nerd/spazz? I have 24 Ctrl-Shifts. Ctrl-Shift-F and -O were too useful as is. If I find that I can do even more, I'll do even more.

JABA 05-14-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxprime (Post 881399)
Key Description
CTRL+( Unhides any hidden rows within the selection.
CTRL+) Unhides any hidden columns within the selection.

I tried this and apparently
CTRL+SHIFT+( Unhides any hidden rows within the selection.
CTRL+SHIFT+) Unhides any hidden columns within the selection
and
CTRL+( Hides any rows within the selection.
CTRL+) Hides any columns within the selection

Phil 05-14-2008 10:28 PM

Similarly to hiding / unhiding rows, select some rows (or a range of cells over more than one row) and try
SHIFT ALT RightArrow

This "groups" the rows (puts a little [-] sign in the left margin; click it to roll it up and hide them.)

I prefer this method to ordinary "hide rows" because the [+] sign tells you that there are hidden rows lurking. Without that, it can be hard to notice the gap in row numbers or the one-pixel-thicker separator.

To ungroup the rows ("unhide"), use SHIFT ALT LeftArrow.

..-. ..- -.-. -.- -.-- -- 05-14-2008 10:33 PM

Phil, thank you for providing me with my new favorite Excel trick.

tymesup 06-09-2008 09:36 AM

I believe I'm now flying Excel 2007 (how does one check this?)

In previous versions of Excel, I could insert a row with Alt I, R. It appears this still works. If I didn't already know this, how would I find it? After Alt I, a box shows up saying to continue the Office 2003 menu key sequence, but there's no dropdown box to help out.

Is there an intro to this version of Excel somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Gates Is Antichrist 06-09-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Excel 2007
Quote:

If I didn't already know this, how would I find it?
You don't! This is the phrase the Office development team wants the whole world to ask! The mantra of Office 2007 is to simplify our lives by hiding features from us!

I've been [justifiably] loudly and vilely critical of Microsoft's ineptness in the past. But this is their master stroke. This interface change is THE absolutely most FOOLISH act in the history of Microsoft. Office development team: raise your bongs in victory. This is the ultimate in pot-headed stupidity.

The comments above are not my opinion. They are facts.

JMO 06-09-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gates Is Antichrist (Post 2930068)
You don't! This is the phrase the Office development team wants the whole world to ask! The mantra of Office 2007 is to simplify our lives by hiding features from us!

I've been [justifiably] loudly and vilely critical of Microsoft's ineptness in the past. But this is their master stroke. This interface change is THE absolutely most FOOLISH act in the history of Microsoft. Office development team: raise your bongs in victory. This is the ultimate in pot-headed stupidity.

The comments above are not my opinion. They are facts.

Are you telling me that Excel 2007 doesn't support "Help About"?

Good grief, the stuff they make backward compatible, and then they pull a stunt like this. I hate M$.

Gareth Keenan 11-12-2008 07:24 PM

Quick Copy values?

Does any one know if there is a quicker way to go to a cell, and using a combination of key strokes copy only the value of a cell?

Or,

Once I have copied a cell, or an array of cells, if there is a faster way to paste the values only other than the below sequence of keystrokes?

1) alt
2) e
3) s
4) v
5) enter?

It's very petty but when you paste a lot of values, it gets a little annoying.

Cheers!

Gareth Keenan

GatesIsAntichrist 11-12-2008 07:29 PM

It's not petty. I also know no shorter than alt-esv{enter}. My approach was to put this in personal.xls and gave it control-shift-V
Code:

Sub PasteValues() ' Control-Shift-V
  Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
End Sub

dumples 11-13-2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatesIsAntichrist (Post 3286086)
It's not petty. I also know no shorter than alt-esv{enter}. My approach was to put this in personal.xls and gave it control-shift-V
Code:

Sub PasteValues() ' Control-Shift-V
  Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
End Sub

Sure, now hit undo.