Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Careers - Employment (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Map of Actuarial Hiring Companies (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=272456)

whoanonstop 01-26-2014 12:25 AM

Map of Actuarial Hiring Companies

I AM AWARE THAT THE MAP IS CURRENTLY DOWN. I'M GOING TO RESCRAPE AND SHARE THE PROCEDURE FOR PEOPLE LOOKING TO DO THIS IN THE FUTURE.

I have COMPLETED all of the states. Please feel free to leave any corrections here or send me a private message.

Actuary Map

http://i61.tinypic.com/fkuo9s.jpg

A few things I didn't add that were on the SOA directory:

1. Anything that looked like a residential address.
2. Anyone that appeared to be working independently under their own name.
3. Anyone who didn't actually list their organization.

I would like to constantly update this map and everyone's input would be appreciated. Feel free to use the map but please PM me or leave a message here if you know one of the following:

1. A company/place that isn't listed on the map.
2. A company that is listed incorrectly on the map.
3. A company that doesn't traditionally hire actuaries that needs to be taken off.
4. The category of a company listed (Life / Health / P&C / Pension / Consluting / Insurance / Reinsurance etc). I will start marking different categories with different colors so people can distinguish.

I'll try to finish all the states as soon as possible!

-Riley

Colonel Smoothie 01-26-2014 12:26 AM

:popcorn:

Colonel Smoothie 01-26-2014 12:29 AM

It seems to me that you are creating the Low Orbit Ion Cannon of actuarial job searching.

Falafel 01-26-2014 12:31 AM

Pretty awesome! Off the bat, I think it would be useful to add the number of credentialed actuaries in the office, which would help EL candidates figure out which offices might hire. Also, I'm not sure how often it happens right now but it would be useful to group similar company names at the same address, since people might write their company name different despite working for the same company.

Good stuff though!

YetAnotherCareerChanger 01-26-2014 01:26 AM

This is pretty awesome. I'm not sure how much control you have over data presentation / options but this could be a really useful tool. Definitely going to book mark that page.

Devastator 01-26-2014 01:26 AM

Y'all got way too much time on your hands

Colonel Smoothie 01-26-2014 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devastator (Post 7238834)
Y'all got way too much time on your hands

:redcard:

Aeyyyyyy 01-26-2014 01:38 AM

I went to a technology talk put on by the SOA at the 2013 SOA Annual Meeting, and they demoed a similar site that I believe is already accessible to people taking the modules. If I recall correctly, they said they were hoping to roll out this sort of capability to everyone in the next year or so.

Aeyyyyyy! :tup:

Falafel 01-26-2014 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeyyyyyy (Post 7238837)
I went to a technology talk put on by the SOA at the 2013 SOA Annual Meeting, and they demoed a similar site that I believe is already accessible to people taking the modules. If I recall correctly, they said they were hoping to roll out this sort of capability to everyone in the next year or so.

Aeyyyyyy! :tup:

Wow, I'm taking the modules so I just checked that out...pretty creepy. Showed my full address and phone number. WTF?

Forever Student 01-26-2014 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falafel (Post 7238825)
Pretty awesome! Off the bat, I think it would be useful to add the number of credentialed actuaries in the office, which would help EL candidates figure out which offices might hire. Also, I'm not sure how often it happens right now but it would be useful to group similar company names at the same address, since people might write their company name different despite working for the same company.

Good stuff though!

That would be too complicated because things change, people move and companies go out of business.