Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=312)
-   -   What are you reading??? (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=42157)

I_actuate™ 11-19-2004 02:38 PM

What are you reading???

Kinda a parody thread, but not really. What's on your nightstand right now?

I'm finishing up the Harry Potter series. I'm almost done with number 4 now.

What cool books have you gotten into lately?

Apollywog 11-19-2004 02:39 PM

Currently, reading this novel called "Present Value" (I need to check the author's name) but the author thought an accountant = an actuary.... I got upset.

two books on my to buy list:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

The Da Vinci Code

Macavity 11-19-2004 02:44 PM

Save yourself from Da Vinci Code.

It is the most overrated book of the century.

Hagbard Celine 11-19-2004 02:47 PM

The Brewmaster's Table by Garrett Oliver.

llcooljabe 11-19-2004 02:51 PM

I'm just beginning the wheel of time series with book 1. Everybody's been raving about these for years, so I thought I'd see what the fuss is all about.

Don Quijote 11-19-2004 02:51 PM

All on Fire - a biography of Garrison (1820's anti-slavery agitator). It was on sale for $4 in an airport bookstore just prior to a long trip - perfect!

Pseudolus 11-19-2004 02:55 PM

I've read the first few "Flashman" novels. These are the purported memoirs of Victorian-era liar, cheat, scoundrel, and general no-goodnik Harry Flashman. Very funny stuff, and he gets caught up in some quite interesting history. So far he's run into the Duke of Wellington, Otto von Bismark, Lola Montez, Benjamin Disraeli, and a young Congressman named Lincoln.

The books are a lot of fun - trashy, but not quite trash.

Patience 11-19-2004 02:55 PM

I liked Da Vinci, but I am sure I found the puzzles simpler than most people (non actuaries) I spoke with.

Just finished 2 Harry Potters, haven't started third
just bought Princess Bride

most recently
Teeth of the Tiger - Tom Clancy
My Losing Season - Pat Conroy

Bicycle Repair Man 11-19-2004 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llcooljabe
I'm just beginning the wheel of time series with book 1. Everybody's been raving about these for years, so I thought I'd see what the fuss is all about.

Great series. Do yourself a favor, though, and stop after Book 6. You will think that the series is about to go from really good, to really, really, really good. But the next four books do absolutely nothing to advance the plot. Wait until he finally finishes, and read the last book.

In fact, a similar case could kind of be made after the end of Book 3. But then you'd miss the end of Book 6.

AfroSoul 11-19-2004 02:58 PM

"Reconsidering the Souls of Black Folk" - Benjamin & Crouch
"Democracy Matters" - Cornell West