Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Software & Technology (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Kindle vs Nook (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=192443)

Jables 05-05-2010 04:03 PM

Kindle vs Nook

Ok, so Mrs. Jables's birthday is coming up, and I know she wants an e-reader (sometimes she's nice and direct with her hints), but is unsure of whether to get a Kindle or a Nook. Can someone with background knowledge of both provide some pros/cons or advice on one over the other?

As far as I can tell, they both cost roughly the same, and hold about the same amount of text... Are the costs of the books similar for both devices? The biggest difference I've found in my quick Googling is that the Nook has an expandable memory slot while the Kindle doesn't, right? My wife travels internationally for work now and then, so she'd use it as an easier way to bring reading material with her, but I'm pretty sure she'd download all her content while in the U.S.

Happy to answer any other questions that might apply in choosing one product over the other...

GadgetGeek 05-05-2010 04:11 PM

Some people like a netbook with the Kindle PC software on it so they can do more than just read.

My Dad is happy with his first generation Kindle. He's retired, but gets drug along to shopping centers and quilt shows a lot. Never has to worry about finishing a book and being stuck with nothing else to do...just d/l a new book.

Nook, I think, has some extra online freebies when you are in an physical B&N store.

Saint Kepler 05-05-2010 04:32 PM

I have a Kindle and know more about that, but have looked at the Nook some.

Kindle has a physical keyboard, Nook has a touch screen keyboard.

Amazon has a broader selection of books than B&N (but B&N will probably catch-up over time).

Nook has a small color screen that shows book covers, Kindle does not.

Nook was Wi-Fi for downloading books, Kindle does not (both have 3G). I have read that the Wi-Fi drains the battery much faster.

The web browser on both is very basic.

Kindle has Text-to-Speech for most books, Nook does not.

Nook has some limited lending capabilities, Kindle does not.

General Apathy 05-05-2010 04:34 PM

In my household the wi-fi thing made the nook the winner.

Both are good though

whisper 05-06-2010 09:49 AM

Amazon stores the books on their on-line cloud. So, you just need to keep the books that you're currently reading on the device, so the lack of expandable storage is not that big of a deal. You don't need to be carrying around all your purchases.

Amazon also has free deals, where they'll offer books for free for a period of time. I frequently browse the deals and have picked up quite a few.

ahow 05-06-2010 10:37 AM

I don't own a kindle, but I read kindle books on my laptop, Blackberry, and the iPad (before I returned it). The kindle and kindle app syncs your books and the last page you were on between all devices. Very convenient if you move from device to device.

Jemaine Clement 05-06-2010 10:42 AM

The critical consensus appears to be that the nook is a little less polished with a few more flaws. On the other hand, I've heard comments on this forum from happy owners of nooks.

Here's David Pogue's review of the nook, which is pretty critical:
:link:

I don't have a personal stake either way, since I'm not particularly interested in either device.

CuriousGeorge 05-06-2010 11:03 AM

Nook also has the capability to download library e-books (epub), which the Kindle does not.

Mojo 05-06-2010 12:45 PM

The review is a bit dated.

It has been updated several times since then.

Here is the latest add to nook. browser and among other things
http://androidandme.com/2010/04/news...read-in-store/

The fact that it is also Android powered and non-led screen (saves battery and eyes) are some of its pluses.

MooBeay 05-11-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge (Post 4393641)
Nook also has the capability to download library e-books (epub), which the Kindle does not.

and there you have it. Nook, iPad and sony e-reader can use ePub which is free and many newspapers and then public libraries use it. Kindle can only read amazon books which will be its death.