View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 06:26 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...hoo&yptr=yahoo

Quote:
Warren Buffett discusses ‘disaster’ contributing to Bay Area exodus in CNBC interview

Spoiler:
Warren Buffett described unfunded public pensions as a “disaster” that companies and individuals must consider when deciding where to expand or move.

While corporate America’s traditional, defined-benefit pension plans are no longer the problem they were 10 or 20 years ago, “in the public sector, you know, it’s a disaster,” Buffett told CNBC this week in discussing Amazon’s (NASDAQ: AMZN) decision to ditch New York City for a major expansion.

California’s unfunded public pensions are a hot topic, with taxpayers on the hook for making up any shortfalls in employee contributions or investment returns.

“If I were relocating into some state that had a huge unfunded pension plan, I'm walking into liabilities," Buffett said. "'Cause I mean, who knows whether they're gonna get it from the corporate income tax or my employees — you know, with personal income taxes or what. That liability isn't gonna — you can't ship it offshore or anything like that. And those are big numbers, really big numbers.

“The politicians are the ones that really haven't attacked it in a good many states. And when you see what they would have to do, I say to myself, ‘Why do I wanna build a plant there that has to sit there for 30 or 40 years?’” he said. “They will come after corporations, they'll come after individuals. They're gonna have to raise a lotta money.”

Buffett’s concerns, however, haven’t stopped him from investing in California. Buffett-led Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK.A) (NYSE: BRK.B) is the largest shareholder in San Francisco-based Wells Fargo (NYSE: WFC) and is the outright owner of San Francisco-based Business Wire and South San Francisco-based See’s Candies.

But talk of a Bay Area exodus has been on the rise in recent months as a change in federal tax law means affluent residents of California and other high-tax states likely face bigger tax bills. Plus, the Bay Area has recently lost two Fortune 500 headquarters: San Francisco-based McKesson (NYSE: MCK) and South San Francisco-based Core-Mark Holding Co. (NASDAQ: CORE). Both companies moved to Dallas.

TRENDING
TECHNOLOGY
How Uber employees' educational background differ from Lyft's
Ivy League graduates top the list of alumni working at these two tech companies.
RESIDENTIAL REAL ESTATE
Nic Cage's former Russian Hill mansion on market for $10.9 million
A look at the second-floor living room with views of the North Bay.

COMING EVENT
Real Estate Deals of the Year Awards
March 27

But Bay Area business leaders are quick to counter such talk, saying the region's economy continues to enjoy dramatic growth, with the nine-county region’s unemployment at levels that are below the national and California averages.

Joining Buffett’s chorus is Berkshire Hathaway Vice Chairman Charlie Munger, a Southern California resident, who criticizes states and cities with high taxes and regulations that make them unattractive to the wealthy.

“Driving the rich people out is pretty dumb, if you’re a state or a city,” Munger told CNBC. “There are a number of places that have shot themselves in the foot — Connecticut, California, New York City.”

LinkedIn Profile

Page generated in 0.10035 seconds with 7 queries