View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 08:43 AM

Location: This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me.
Favorite beer: Grizzly. No, wait - polar bears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Gambler View Post
Normally I would concede that. In fact, all my "how to kick course X's ass" have that disclaimer, but in the case I feel too strongly. A good VBA book (vs. the macro recorder) is by far and away a much better place to start for someone that is looking to learn VBA. Why? Simple - there is tons of code for the reader to scan in the book. And guess what, that code is going to be a HELLUVA lot better than the code from the recorder. So if you learn by reading code, then read the code in a good book (vs. reading the code produced by the macro recorder). You will learn more and faster.
A few years ago, I would have agreed with you. And I would have been trashing the recorder even more strongly than you are now. But many people learn better by doing, especially doing practical work (re ST:TNG episode 113: The Masterpiece Society).

So to someone seeking advice on how to learn VBA, I would say "Here are several different methods. Try them all out and see what works best for you."

Page generated in 0.17981 seconds with 9 queries