View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 12:29 PM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshill89 View Post
So, I am trying to switch careers here and I hope that once I finally get into the field then I could start cranking out exams more frequently. I am open to suggestions as I have used the same general format for a few years and haven't had as much success as I would like.

Don’t let the length of this post discourage you. Check out the resume and don’t read any further if you don’t want to know my background/life story.

I have been with the same company for almost 5 years with three different positions and I completed an internship for a health insurance carrier while I was working one of these full time positions and I tried to put something there to show that I had a part time and a full time position at the same time since I have to explain this in every interview, which I figure is going to happen every time.

One thing that I really want to change is the third bullet point on my internship. I just have a hard time condensing it and using the right wording which would be appropriate for a resume since I only worked in the field for a few months, whereas I have been doing accounting for 6 years and am very familiar with the terms. If nothing else comes out of this then at least being able to reword that bullet point would probably be very beneficial. For this project I was tasked with finding out how much our dental plan paid dentist in comparison to the competition to see if we were comparable. A secondary assignment would be to see if we would be able to add a second, more narrow, network and how much less we could reduce the allowable amount to pay. I pulled dental claims data where we were the secondary insurance and I compared the allowable billing amount from the COB to essentially figure out what the fee schedules were for other carriers. I was able to see which carriers had more than one network and compare their primary plans against our own and use their secondary ones, if one exist, as a baseline to where we could start pricing to be comparable. I showed that we could lower the allowable amount by up to 12% and the new plan would be comparable to the those of other carriers. This did not factor in any type of geographical location or much beyond just the data; this was only an internship and I had limited time to complete this project.

Tldr: Trying to switch careers, any advice would be helpful, and I need help rewriting/rewording point #3 on the internship position.
To start, I would be a bit confused on how you completed an internship, which is generally a full time gig during business hours, and had a full time job at the same time. Additionally if you wanted actuarial, why weren't you offered a full-time gig after the internship?

As lllj stated, ditch the border. It condenses the resume and makes it difficult to read.

Here are my opinions on the resume itself:
  • The 'Profile' section adds nothing for me. It seems to contain a lot of fluff that should be communicated through your bullets about work experience. If you can't communicate your "Profile" highlights through your experiences, rewrite your experiences.
  • The goal of a resume is to show that you are capable of the job and get an interview.
  • Your resume currently reads as a list of job duties. Additionally, everything comes across as very passive. There is an art to truthfully selling yourself. Stating that you "assisted" in a project is not a good way to sell yourself. You did the work, so it is best to state that. "Assisted" sounds like an experienced person told you exactly what to do and you added no value/critical thought to the project.
  • The order of your bullets is insightful into how you view your work and accomplishments. Put the most impressive accomplishments first.
  • A list of computer programs/programming languages works well to communicate skills. The rest of the bullets are fluff that clutters up a resume.
  • You can abbreviate exam names to save space.

Overall, you have the makings of a resume that can get interviews. You'll need to add some more white space and rewrite your bullets so that you come across as being active in the process (i.e. demonstrating critical thinking).

Last edited by jwitt25; 10-28-2019 at 12:53 PM..

Page generated in 0.18237 seconds with 9 queries