View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
So, just to be clear, you think that if Company A and Company B sell the exact same policy to the exact same customer save for one difference: A pays $100 in commission and B pays $200. Then B gets to capitalize $200 of profits up front but A only $100? And that makes sense to you?

And if the capitalized profits to be earned on the contract depend on earning credit spreads, the nonsense of traditional accounting only multiplies.
The premiums will be different if the commissions vary that much. This was even part of the discussion in the link I provided.

I'm not supporting traditional accounting, I am challenging the decision not to capitalize acquisition costs - when the product pricing contemplates sufficient margin to amortize them. There are several categories of margin, and the one to amortize acquisition costs USED TO BE in the IASB proposal until FASB talke them out of it. And if the margins subsequently prove inadequate, the contemplated valuation process would take down those capitalized amounts. Sort of like how recoverability testing works today, but through a different mechanism.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.

Page generated in 0.18850 seconds with 9 queries