View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 01:41 AM
CAS

I am learning how to use Excel VBA. So far, it seems, well,...rudimentary--in comparsion to what I know how to do with Mathematica. But it's clear that you can create non-mathematical programs in VBA, and if the industry is expecting it as part of my skill set, then so be it.

Some time ago I wrote a Mathematica program that solved Sudoku puzzles through recursive application of rule-based manipulation and process of elimination, much in the way that humans do--rather than by brute force guessing. Mathematica also has better handling of numerical error--years ago, I once tried to do a nonlinear fit in Excel that resulted in a numerically unstable result, whereas Mathematica did it perfectly. I should hope Excel has evolved since then to handle such situations better.

I wonder why Mathematica is not used in the actuarial field...? Is it the price? Is it the lack of relevance? Is it because Excel is used by non-actuarial sectors to visually organize and manipulate data?

Think of it like a movie. The Torah is the first one, and the New Testament is the sequel. Then the Qu'ran comes out, and it retcons the last one like it never happened. There's still Jesus, but he's not the main character anymore, and the messiah hasn't shown up yet.

Jews like the first movie but ignored the sequels, Christians think you need to watch the first two, but the third movie doesn't count, Moslems think the third one was the best, and Mormons liked the second one so much they started writing fanfiction that doesn't fit with ANY of the series canon."

-RandomFerret

Page generated in 0.09451 seconds with 9 queries