View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 01:24 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Oh, amplifiers. I generally believe that one watt is one watt, and that very few modern amplifiers noticeably color the sound. That's my basic premise.

That said, power ratings are... fuzzy math. Many receivers will say that they can do 100w/channel or whatever. But, only with two channels being used, and at a somewhat elevated level of distortion. And into a purely resistive load, a loudspeaker is harder to drive than a resistor.

That Outlaw 5000 will probably do 120w/channel, into all five channels, on a real speaker, continuously, for ten hours straight, without blowing up. And I have no issue with spending a bit to get a reliable amp with headroom.
Yep, I found a review last night where somebody verified that the Outlaw specs were as you described. In fact, in their tests, the 5000 out-performed! From audioholics.com:

Quote:
The Model 5000 proved to be an overachiever delivering a good deal more than its 120wpc rated power into 8 ohms and 180 watts/ch into 4 ohms. Our continuous sweep tests produced 170 watts/channel for 8 ohms, two channels driven and 230 watts/ch for 4 ohms, two channels driven under 0.1% THD+N. Even with ALL five channels driven, the Model 5000 was able to muster 135 watts/channel into 8 ohms under 0.1% THD+N. It’s rare that we find an amplifier to handily outperform its rated specs, especially an amp priced at the level of a mid-fi AV receiver.

Last edited by Egghead; 04-11-2017 at 01:30 PM..

Page generated in 0.10702 seconds with 9 queries