Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 AM

It is clear to me why you couldn't get a job without help from cronies.

Last edited by SirVLCIV for mod; 04-24-2008 at 11:15 AM..
Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for NADA
Favorite beer: Rochefort 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZK View Post
In terms of interviewing, I feel like the idea of a newbie being (naturally) self confident is offensive to people who don't have that much self confidence themselves. No matter what I do or say they seem to pull back...
Here's the thing, self-confidence comes in several flavors. To pick some movie characters to make this a little more concrete: Hannibal Lector and Cool Hand Luke were both extremely self confident. I would feel much more comfortable sitting down and talking with the latter.

What flavor are you? (FYI - you have more than the two choices above).
Old 04-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

FWIW, my advice above was for others who might be a little more serious about not being so condescending to the hoi polloi.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 04-24-2008, 11:02 AM

Studying for DMAC... and life

I think you should not think so much about the interview. Youu have to shut down the analytical side of your brain in an interview and try to present yourself as a person. That's the point of an interview anyways. Your credentials can speak for themselves on paper... when conducting an interview I am trying to get a feel for the candidate's personality, motivation, and communication skills. Trust me, people can tell if you are trying to analyze their reaction to your "subconscious controlled factors of my demeanor". So what if you are "smarter". You need to get to the interviewer's "level", not vice-versa.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Row View Post
I'm sure the rest of society is wrong, and the difficulties you've experienced with communication is entirely our fault. We'll work to match your standards if you can just give us a bit of time. Sorry.
LOL
Old 04-24-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:

It would seem you could just talk someone into being comfortable with you if this were the case, but it doesn't work that way. People often hide what they think as if they are afraid they would look stupid if their belief was shown false. I once had a conversation with a lady interviewing me about giving speeches on actuarial findings. Every few seconds I would stop to think about how to put what I was saying so that it would be the most convincing and objective argument. She made a face as if she thought that needing to think about what you were saying was a poor quality for a speech giver to have. I said that I find speeches work the best when I write the speech and memorize it. She responded that she had to do the same thing as well and quickly moved on.

Maybe she wanted you to be able to think faster than you could talk, instead of having those jarring pauses every few seconds. Oh and you got your first job based on family connections. Congratulations.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:12 AM
SOA AAA

Wow.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:17 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for NADA
Favorite beer: Rochefort 10

Quote:
Every few seconds I would stop to think about how to put what I was saying so that it would be the most convincing and objective argument.
For public presentations, care to wager how much of the effectiveness is content and how much is delivery?

Quote:
I find that interviewers have all kinds of backwards views on things that determine how they interpret behavior and arguments. They hide these beliefs to prevent you from disproving them so you can come to an understanding. This in of itself is a poorly reasoned type of behavior. Objective truth is only determined by the confrontation of ideas. If the interviewer naturally liked you, they might be more open minded (although they still would be judgmental based on some silly beliefs they were sensitive about)
I would recommend developing the ability to relate to all types of people. I have a collection of friends who are along the lines of what you call "system thinkers" and who are very engaging intellectually. I do not necessarily expect this of my coworkers...or the grocery clerk, or my mail lady, etc. However, I do get along with these people swimmingly. I assume they can pick up on the fact I respect them and don't try to use a 10 minute conversation to expose the triviality of their world view. Guess what? You can also do this without compromising your intellectual integrity.

It sounds like your approach to interviewing, may be better suited for either:
(a) A conversation over beers with a couple smart friends
(b) Cross-examining a murder suspect.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 AM

Anyone think this the kind of person that would kill themselves after failing an exam?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV for mod View Post
Anyone think this the kind of person that would kill themselves after failing an exam?
Now you're just getting our hopes up.

Tags
origin of your