Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

CANADIAN ACTUARIAL JOBS

Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuaryGuy23 View Post
IMO, pizza delivery guys can suck my a$$ if they think they're getting a tip on top of that $2 delivery surcharge. That is like a restaurant that adds in the 15% gratuity on parties of X or more. You've just set your tip (which may or may not have been better before).
It's always interesting to hear people on your side of the fence talk about this - almost every time they come out the gates already angry at the notion of tipping. It's like they are on the defensive before anybody even puts them there.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieGB View Post
It's always interesting to hear people on your side of the fence talk about this - almost every time they come out the gates already angry at the notion of tipping. It's like they are on the defensive before anybody even puts them there.
I'm more angry that there is a delivery charge and then folks STILL expect a tip on top of that. I maybe already said this, but that's like restaurants where they put a mandatory tip for large parties. Would the waiter STILL expect a tip on top of that? Yes, I understand that maybe the delivery charge isn't going to the driver, but that's something they need to take up with the restaurant if it's affecting their tips.

BTW, I used to wait tables in high school and college, so I am not opposed to tipping. In fact, I tip very well when I go out to eat (minimum 15% unless the server just totally sucks). I just think it's laughable that a driver making minimum wage (at least), getting a cut of the delivery charge, and not doing much more than handing my food to me thinks they are entitled to the same "tip" that a server making $2.12/hour gets. It's more laughable when I read arguments about the mileage used to deliver my pizza, like my order is the only one going out on that particular trip.

You're a McDonald's drive-thru on wheels, pizza delivery guy. In fact, you probably make more than the McDonald's drive-thru worker. What about your food hand-off is so special?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Not doing anything wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwoc View Post
I ate at a hot dog cart in Manhattan once. It was awful. Food in the Northeast is so terrible! I mean, do they have anything else besides hot dogs?

Southern food is delicious.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I just think it's laughable that a driver making minimum wage (at least), getting a cut of the delivery charge, and not doing much more than handing my food to me thinks they are entitled to the same "tip" that a server making $2.12/hour gets. It's more laughable when I read arguments about the mileage used to deliver my pizza, like my order is the only one going out on that particular trip.
I delivered pizza some 10 years ago. At my place, there was no minimum wage, our only pay was the $1.50 delivery charge plus any tips. It's probably like that at a lot of places.

For most deliveries, only one order went out per trip. Only time you would bundle deliveries is if a few were going to the same general vicinity.

The job is very tough on automobiles, so the $1.50 wasn't necessarily for mileage, but more for wear and tear.

Just some FYI, not arguing against your decision to not tip drivers.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 AM

College: University of East Anglia

Quote:
I'm more angry that there is a delivery charge and then folks STILL expect a tip on top of that. I maybe already said this, but that's like restaurants where they put a mandatory tip for large parties. Would the waiter STILL expect a tip on top of that? Yes, I understand that maybe the delivery charge isn't going to the driver, but that's something they need to take up with the restaurant if it's affecting their tips.

BTW, I used to wait tables in high school and college, so I am not opposed to tipping. In fact, I tip very well when I go out to eat (minimum 15% unless the server just totally sucks). I just think it's laughable that a driver making minimum wage (at least), getting a cut of the delivery charge, and not doing much more than handing my food to me thinks they are entitled to the same "tip" that a server making $2.12/hour gets. It's more laughable when I read arguments about the mileage used to deliver my pizza, like my order is the only one going out on that particular trip.

You're a McDonald's drive-thru on wheels, pizza delivery guy. In fact, you probably make more than the McDonald's drive-thru worker. What about your food hand-off is so special?
I don't think the drivers get a cut of the delivery charge. If you stiff them they get stiffed.

Stop being a cheap ass.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Not doing anything wrong

Quote:
It costs $2 times however many pizzas the guy is delivering on that run to pay for mileage? Maybe something's wrong with their reimbursement system.

So I have to pay the driver's salary? On top of the pizza cost? So the pie is just straight profit for Papa John's? Also business fail (unless there are a lot of idiots who pay the delivery charge AND a tip).

IMO, pizza delivery guys can suck my a$$ if they think they're getting a tip on top of that $2 delivery surcharge. That is like a restaurant that adds in the 15% gratuity on parties of X or more. You've just set your tip (which may or may not have been better before).
Are you one of these people that bitches and moans about slow and "poor" service as well?

I tip well especially at the local places.

I may have gotten you tabled the other night when I walked past the people waiting for a table as the hostess recognized me.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 AM
Surprisingly Not a Troll, MD

Studying for fellating shellfish
College: Alma Madda, Alma Fadda
Favorite beer: Anything Tom tells me isn't total crap

Quote:

The delivery charge gets pooled together for all of the delivery people that night, and usually it's to cover gas, and helps balance out the receipts of each driver, since every night there will be a few people who will give exact change. I delivered for a few years in HS, and guess what, we are "drive thru on wheels", except you get the ability to sit on your ass and have the food come to you. Yes they make more than the McDonalds guy, because they're taking a risk driving around in all kinds of weather, usually at night, to bring food right to your door. If you're ordering 20 dollars of food, and you really are that upset at the 2 dollar delivery charge, nothing I can do to change your mind. You don't have to give 15%, I guess, but maybe if the kid is young and brings hot food to your door, you could spare a few bucks for good service.

Holy shit are some people cheap.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 AM
frequent poster

Studying for exam 97
College: Phoenix On-Line
Favorite beer: TC-17x97

plus, pizza delivery guys are always getting robbed and beat up where I live.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:02 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: "Trying" to choose yoga over beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. John Zoidberg View Post
Bad food in the south? No way!
I resemble that.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:06 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: "Trying" to choose yoga over beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
I can't think of any southern foods I like beside fried food. What foods are we talking about? creamed spinach, grits, country gravy, fatback, southern BBQ ( I hate that stuff; teh kind with the vinegar and coleslaw), ocra, chicken and dumplings, I hate all that stuff. I like just plain salads with chicken, celery, tomatoes, pecans/walnuts, cucumber, peppers, spinach. And of course I like steak, fish, rice, fried foods, meat and potatoes, pizza.
Crawfish. Crawdads. Crab. Gumbo. That's good stuff. Otherwise, there's a lot of overcooked bad southern food out there unless you're in NOLA.