Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 08-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

NSFW
Spoiler:

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers
Default Perhaps you should move to . . .

Spoilered for size:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be depressing. Really, the idea is to have something to balance your work-life. Hobby, socializing, new work (side projects?), whatever...

When you lack balance, it's easy to get burned out on what you're doing. Not everyone does, but it's just easier for it to happen. It kind of sounds like the OP is going through something like that.

Balance doesn't need to be 50-50 either, in this case.
I don't know - if balance is my issue, it's that I have too much outside of work that I enjoy - between family and being a part-time musician (I like to garden too), I have plenty to keep me occupied and happy - if anything these things outside of work are too enjoyable and comparatively make work less enjoyable.

But really, I think the heart of the matter is I just don't find actuarial work very interesting now. Once I got some credentials, it was sort of like, "now what?" and I find myself quite unfulfilled now. I'd at least like to find something where I tend to feel motivated and interested. I don't really know though, just trying to sort things out.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:55 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for nothing. FCAS, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
I don't know - if balance is my issue, it's that I have too much outside of work that I enjoy - between family and being a part-time musician (I like to garden too), I have plenty to keep me occupied and happy - if anything these things outside of work are too enjoyable and comparatively make work less enjoyable.

But really, I think the heart of the matter is I just don't find actuarial work very interesting now. Once I got some credentials, it was sort of like, "now what?" and I find myself quite unfulfilled now. I'd at least like to find something where I tend to feel motivated and interested. I don't really know though, just trying to sort things out.
Sounds like I missed the mark with you completely, then. That's what I get for generalizing, I guess.

How long have you had your credentials?
Could the whole problem here be that you don't have another exam to study for? Sounds silly, I know, but exams kind of build in an "...and then..." approach to the whole career. First you take P, and then you take FM, and then you take.... and then you're an ASA or ACAS... and then you're a FSA or FCAS. And now, without that to "look forward to," there's a void in your professional life? If that's the case, then maybe what you need is to work on a different LOB or something? I have no clue what you do and I'm really just trying to spur some thought for you. By no means am I suggesting anything one way or the other.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Spazz Legend

College: Guelph
Favorite beer: Meinstrohn

Quote:

Your avatar indicates that you are a human being trapped in the body of a donkey, trying to burst out. Or else you were standing in front of a donkey who inhaled so deeply that he sucked you half-way into his body, along with his own head. Either one of these possibilities should be enough for you to underscore the need for health insurance.

I realize you started this thread, but I am becoming a little impatient with your need to make it all about you and divert attention to the posts I contributed to it. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
Your avatar indicates that you are a human being trapped in the body of a donkey, trying to burst out.
Ha, this is awesome! Sig'd.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Sounds like I missed the mark with you completely, then. That's what I get for generalizing, I guess.

How long have you had your credentials?
Could the whole problem here be that you don't have another exam to study for? Sounds silly, I know, but exams kind of build in an "...and then..." approach to the whole career. First you take P, and then you take FM, and then you take.... and then you're an ASA or ACAS... and then you're a FSA or FCAS. And now, without that to "look forward to," there's a void in your professional life? If that's the case, then maybe what you need is to work on a different LOB or something? I have no clue what you do and I'm really just trying to spur some thought for you. By no means am I suggesting anything one way or the other.
No problem, I appreciate any comments. It's been around a year - but I think the exam thing is a part of it. I'm sure it's happened to others too. A big build up, working towards something - then when you get it, now what? I feel like there's nothing to work towards now except the daily work - which now I just find uninteresting and not fulfilling - at least the exams provided a sense of fulfillment.

And while I do agree that not everyone finds fulfillment in their jobs and that it is probably not even a requirement to overall happiness, I think I would like to try.
Quote:
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Have you ever gone through periods at work where you just can't get anything done, even though you have plenty of possible things to do? I've been struggling lately - probably have done like 5 hours of actual work in the past week. Not sure how I can motivate myself, or if I should even care to try.
Do you live in a rural area?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina! View Post
Do you live in a rural area?
No.
Quote:
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Yea, I think about other possibilities all the time. That's actually what I've been doing in most of my time over the past week. Hopefully I can figure something out. I'd like to come up with a full-time venture, but it's not easy to replace an actuarial salary while also having a mortgage and family - something like that would take some time to build up to, I'd think.
That's why I said side venture. If they're paying you a full-time salary that allows you thins much downtime, make productive use of it. You can come up with the plan, and hire someone to execute, then collect the profits.