Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial Recruitment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #631  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 PM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 15,520
Default

thx
__________________
The best nicknames for people are the ones they don't know they have.

Obama is dumber.

Of all the causes of astronaut insanity, getting a fly caught inside your space helmet is probably in the top three.
Reply With Quote
  #632  
Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 PM
ahow's Avatar
ahow ahow is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Burninating the Indiana
Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale
Posts: 11,231
Default

I'm about to lose my mind here. I had only used my wife's Kindle a few times and enjoyed it, but now I've hit a snag and I'm baffled as to why Amazon hasn't fixed it.

So my wife read Hunger Games and moved on to the second book. I started reading the first one. Well, it uses the last page of the book as the "furthest read" position, so if I try to sync the position on my Galaxy Tab, Evo, and her Kindle, it just flips to the last page. I have had this problem on footnoted books as well. I would sync the page and instead of going to the page I was on, it would go to the footnote I had read at some point.

Why the hell won't they just sync the current reading page? Or at the very least give me the option to reset the further read location? My only option is to do some 9 step process involving a PC and device (repeating for each of the devices I read on) or call customer service (which people said some of the reps have no idea what you are talking about). Plus there are about 100 threads on Amazon asking how to do the arcane process themselves. How is this possible? I am shocked.

BTW, my $79 Kindle is coming tomorrow. Despite the above rant, I'm super excited that I don't have to gank my wife's Kindle all the time.
__________________
ahow
Badass
Reply With Quote
  #633  
Old 02-09-2012, 11:40 AM
E E is offline
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Geographically, the Southeast, but virtually, everywhere.
College: UGA
Posts: 8,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
I'm about to lose my mind here. I had only used my wife's Kindle a few times and enjoyed it, but now I've hit a snag and I'm baffled as to why Amazon hasn't fixed it.

So my wife read Hunger Games and moved on to the second book. I started reading the first one. Well, it uses the last page of the book as the "furthest read" position, so if I try to sync the position on my Galaxy Tab, Evo, and her Kindle, it just flips to the last page. I have had this problem on footnoted books as well. I would sync the page and instead of going to the page I was on, it would go to the footnote I had read at some point.

Why the hell won't they just sync the current reading page? Or at the very least give me the option to reset the further read location? My only option is to do some 9 step process involving a PC and device (repeating for each of the devices I read on) or call customer service (which people said some of the reps have no idea what you are talking about). Plus there are about 100 threads on Amazon asking how to do the arcane process themselves. How is this possible? I am shocked.

BTW, my $79 Kindle is coming tomorrow. Despite the above rant, I'm super excited that I don't have to gank my wife's Kindle all the time.
Yes, this is a very frustrating aspect of the Kindle experience. One time I was reading a book with a lot of footnotes. The footnotes were hyperlinked to the footnote text at the end of the book. I clicked on one, and Kindle set my furthest read page to basically the end of the book. For all intents and purposes, that broke sync for that book because it never had the page right.

I do believe there is some abstruse process you can follow to clear the sync page, but it looked like more trouble than it was worth.

iBooks keeps up with that last page you were on, not the furthest. I wish Kindle would do the same.
__________________


Check out our brand new Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, and more!

Registration is open for our fall 2014 FSA exam online seminars: ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ERM | CFE FD | G&H Core | G&H Advanced

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Reply With Quote
  #634  
Old 02-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Lucy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm puzzled, my kindle always opens to the last page I was on, even if I have bounced around. What are you guys doing differently?
Reply With Quote
  #635  
Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
ahow's Avatar
ahow ahow is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Burninating the Indiana
Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale
Posts: 11,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I'm puzzled, my kindle always opens to the last page I was on, even if I have bounced around. What are you guys doing differently?
It does stay on the same page on the device you are on, but if you use multiple devices, it doesn't.

Example:
-Read on my Kindle e-reader to page 150, click on a footnote and go to page 250. Go immediately back to 150. Read a bit further to 175.
-Pick up my phone with the Kindle app. When I open the book, it might be on the first page if I haven't read on that device, otherwise it is wherever I last read on my phone. It asks if I want to sync to the furthest point read. If I do so, it takes me to 250 in the footnotes. The only way to figure out where I was is to look at the page number in the Kindle e-reader. So I figure out that I was on 175. I read to 200.
-I go back to my Kindle e-reader and it has me on page 175. If I sync, it takes me to page 250. Otherwise, I have to remember where I last was or check on the last device I read on.

If Amazon would implement a "sync last reading point" or a way to reset the furthest read point, none of this would matter. It is mind blowing.
__________________
ahow
Badass
Reply With Quote
  #636  
Old 02-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Lucy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
It does stay on the same page on the device you are on, but if you use multiple devices, it doesn't.
Got it. I tested the Amazon Kindle app on my gadget, once, but I really only read Kindle content on one Kindle. I don't own any other electronic devices that are really pleasant to read on.
Reply With Quote
  #637  
Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 PM
E E is offline
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Geographically, the Southeast, but virtually, everywhere.
College: UGA
Posts: 8,218
Default

Correct. This is a multiple-device issue.
__________________


Check out our brand new Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, and more!

Registration is open for our fall 2014 FSA exam online seminars: ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ERM | CFE FD | G&H Core | G&H Advanced

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Reply With Quote
  #638  
Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 PM
E E is offline
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Geographically, the Southeast, but virtually, everywhere.
College: UGA
Posts: 8,218
Default

It doesn't seem like it's asking a lot for Amazon to fix this. Whispersync has been out for a while. It would be trivial for them to track "last page read." Or why not let the user pick between last page or furthest page. If the Kindle device/app is always connected to the internet, it should be sending that info regularly anyway.
__________________


Check out our brand new Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, and more!

Registration is open for our fall 2014 FSA exam online seminars: ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ERM | CFE FD | G&H Core | G&H Advanced

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Reply With Quote
  #639  
Old 02-09-2012, 12:56 PM
ahow's Avatar
ahow ahow is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Burninating the Indiana
Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale
Posts: 11,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Got it. I tested the Amazon Kindle app on my gadget, once, but I really only read Kindle content on one Kindle. I don't own any other electronic devices that are really pleasant to read on.
I just got my Kindle device Tuesday, so I've been exclusively on that since then. Prior to that, I was using my wife's Kindle and then using my Galaxy Tab to read when she was using her Kindle. So a lot of "Hey can you check where I last was?" going on.

Also, after using it for a couple of days, there is no way I would want the Kindle Touch. I love having the side buttons to click through pages instead of reaching around to touch the screen. I hold mine with my hand spanning the back.

As for typing, I've only had to type twice: entering my wifi password and finding the page I was on when I last read on my tablet. I don't take many notes and highlighting (which I do a bit) is the same on all the Kindles.
__________________
ahow
Badass
Reply With Quote
  #640  
Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Lucy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I, too, got the Kindle Keyboard, and am very happy with my choice. Excellent ergonomics for reading. Acceptable for the limited typing I do (mostly searching for books, or within books).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.73243 seconds with 9 queries