Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > University of Florida
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

D.W. Simpson & Company International Actuary Jobs
  Canada  Asia  Australia  Life  Pension  Casualty
Bermuda, United Kingdom, Europe, Asia, Worldwide

University of Florida http://grove.ufl.edu/~fass/

Old 10-26-2008, 12:10 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C

Hi everyone! I'm studying for November's MLC. Anyone else taking exams next month??
Old 11-02-2008, 06:34 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for RETDAU
College: Florida University

Quote:
Originally Posted by ∑μι∫γ View Post
Hi everyone! I'm studying for November's MLC. Anyone else taking exams next month??
Yep I'm totally taking that test the day AFTER tomorrow. That sounds like a movie title. I'm 95% Confident I know who you are. I'm getting pretty nervous about the exam.

Good luck on Tuesday!!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:11 PM
SOA AAA

Default Go Gators

I still receive my Little by Little newsletter, if that means anything to you.

When the UF math club had an actuary come to speak one lunch hour during my student days long ago, I didn't go. I said to myself that while I don't know what an actuary does, I'm sure I don't want to be one. Said pretty much the same thing about surfing, too. Hmm. I do appreciate the mysterious ways in which life works.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:38 AM
CAS

College: UF Alumni

I miss Gainesville.......
Old 01-27-2012, 09:25 PM

I miss Gainesville but would be bored living there. I would go back for a weekend and bikeride around those hills on Northwest 16th Ave, so water ski in Lake Walbert, chat up people on Plaza of the Americas, and go to some Gator Football Games. Yeah it would be fun.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 PM

Default Advice Please

OK UF grads. My son just got accepted to UF today! He always wanted to go to UF. He wants to be an actuary, and has also been accepted to FSU (invited to Honors Program there) and would major in Actuarial Science there. We need advice! I know if he goes to FSU that prepare the students for the first two exams and cover 12 semester hours on exams 3 & 4. He really wants to be a Gator, so I need to know if you feel UF students are at a disadvantage if they major in Stats and minor in AS. Is the recruitment process good for students wanting to be actuaries, or do you think FSU has the advantage in that since they have the major. Thank you for your honest advice, since he will have to make a decision within a few months (we are visiting UF this month).
Old 02-11-2012, 09:42 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for RETDAU
College: Florida University

Congrats to your son! UF is a pretty awesome school (as I saw with complete and total bias).

I don't think there was any disadvantage whatsoever to majoring in Statistics and Minoring in Actuarial Science (actually I didn't minor in actuarial science I didn't take the course targeted at Exam FM, I just majored in Statistics). I was able to pass the first four exams no problem. I also know if quite a few Statistics grads who have graduated since and I don't think any of them regret going to UF.

Some anecdotal evidence, I have met a couple FSU actuarial science majors who can't pass any of the exams and have given up.

I know firms came to UF to recruit. So I don't think there's an advantage of one school over another. (Other than UF being awesome)
Old 02-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Thank you, AlliGator06! My son told me tonight that he wants to go to UF, and your post has made me feel better about his decision. We are visiting UF on Feb. 20th, and hope to meet with Dr. Randles (the advisor to the student actuarial club). I am curious to find out how much assistance is available to the students to help them pass the first couple of exams (i.e. study materials, tips, etc.) I also would like for my son to shadow a working actuary sometime within the next month. If there is any UF graduate out there working in the Clearwater, Tampa, St. Pete area, please let me know if you are willing to do this. Thank you in advance. Go Gators!!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:02 PM
SOA

Since the exams require a lot of self studying anyways there's not really much difference between UF over FSU in the long run. There's a lot of help offered for exams P and FM and Dr Randles has recently offered a course that covers MLC so the program is definitely growing.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 AM

Default UF vs FSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by phflorida View Post
OK UF grads. My son just got accepted to UF today! He always wanted to go to UF. He wants to be an actuary, and has also been accepted to FSU (invited to Honors Program there) and would major in Actuarial Science there. We need advice! I know if he goes to FSU that prepare the students for the first two exams and cover 12 semester hours on exams 3 & 4. He really wants to be a Gator, so I need to know if you feel UF students are at a disadvantage if they major in Stats and minor in AS. Is the recruitment process good for students wanting to be actuaries, or do you think FSU has the advantage in that since they have the major. Thank you for your honest advice, since he will have to make a decision within a few months (we are visiting UF this month).
I'm a west coast person (and since no one at Cal State Long Beach seems to post much, I thought I would interlope), but one possible advantage of FSU is its location near Florida's insurance department where both life and P&C actuaries are employed. Of course the quality of the faculty at UF and FSU is more important.