Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > Renmin Univ. of China
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

D.W. Simpson & Company International Actuary Jobs
  Canada  Asia  Australia  Life  Pension  Casualty
Bermuda, United Kingdom, Europe, Asia, Worldwide

Renmin Univ. of China Risk Management & Actuarial Science
School of Statistics
http://stat.ruc.edu.cn/en/

Old 02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
SOA

Default Want thread deleted

I'm pretty well rounded because growing up I never really stuck with one thing or worked too hard at anything. The first exam was the hardest I had worked in my life. I was against putting extra curricular stuff on my resume because it seems so long ago but I need to convey my well roundedness. I'm definitely not that smart and only got a 6 on the exam but I like the challenge and will die trying to at least make ASA.

Should I take videos of playing instruments and post links to the youtube videos? I haven't already done so because I don't have a high quality camera.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Files
File Type: doc actuarialoutpostresume.doc (40.0 KB, 148 views)
You are miles ahead of jas socially. It's not much, but it's something.

Last edited by Kaner3339; 02-15-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS 6
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
I'm pretty well rounded because growing up I never really stuck with one thing or worked too hard at anything. The first exam was the hardest I had worked in my life. I was against putting extra curricular stuff on my resume because it seems so long ago but I need to convey my well roundedness. I'm definitely not that smart and only got a 6 on the exam but I like the challenge and will die trying to at least make ASA.

Should I take videos of playing instruments and post links to the youtube videos? I haven't already done so because I don't have a high quality camera.

Thanks for the help!
Damn, you have a lot to learn. I highly recommend that you do not make those videos and spend the many, many hours it would take doing that to study for your exams instead.

You can make musical videos for your own interest but it's a waste of time to make them in order to impress HR.

Keep in mind that being well-rounded does not mean being mediocre and unexceptional in several areas. It means that you have a high level of expertise in several areas. I disagree with your opening sentence. If you want to get good at something, you need to stick with it. If you want to be well-rounded, you need to stick to several things and be good at all those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
I really enjoy drinking the tears of my enemy.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 PM
SOA

Well, I sort of did stick to things but not as much as I wish I had. I just mean I'm not award winningly good at anything and am self taught while not taking anything too seriously.
You are miles ahead of jas socially. It's not much, but it's something.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Note Contributor

Studying for MFE. Uh, ... pretty soon.

Weird place to move this. Is this meant to be hidden?
I make you the first ever honoree of my raised beer mug. I raise my mug to you, Mr. Actuarial Answer Music Guy! *Mr. Actuarial Answer Music Guy* Where others memorize the letters in chunks, you have the insight to turn those letters into notes! *Every Good Boy Does Fine!* You laugh in the face of normal language and instead choose to use singspiel! *Did you come from Germany?* When everyone in the room turns and stares at you playing the desk, you sing your song! Here's to you Mr. Actuarial Answer Music Guy for showing everyone that a major in music isn't completely worthless!