Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Actuarial Science Universities Forum > Renmin Univ. of China
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

D.W. Simpson & Company International Actuary Jobs
  Canada  Asia  Australia  Life  Pension  Casualty
Bermuda, United Kingdom, Europe, Asia, Worldwide


Renmin Univ. of China Risk Management & Actuarial Science
School of Statistics
http://stat.ruc.edu.cn/en/

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Kaner3339 Kaner3339 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,643
Default Want thread deleted

I'm pretty well rounded because growing up I never really stuck with one thing or worked too hard at anything. The first exam was the hardest I had worked in my life. I was against putting extra curricular stuff on my resume because it seems so long ago but I need to convey my well roundedness. I'm definitely not that smart and only got a 6 on the exam but I like the challenge and will die trying to at least make ASA.

Should I take videos of playing instruments and post links to the youtube videos? I haven't already done so because I don't have a high quality camera.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Files
File Type: doc actuarialoutpostresume.doc (40.0 KB, 148 views)
__________________
P FM MFE C
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
You are miles ahead of jas socially. It's not much, but it's something.

Last edited by Kaner3339; 02-15-2012 at 08:49 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Studying for CAS 6
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 26,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
I'm pretty well rounded because growing up I never really stuck with one thing or worked too hard at anything. The first exam was the hardest I had worked in my life. I was against putting extra curricular stuff on my resume because it seems so long ago but I need to convey my well roundedness. I'm definitely not that smart and only got a 6 on the exam but I like the challenge and will die trying to at least make ASA.

Should I take videos of playing instruments and post links to the youtube videos? I haven't already done so because I don't have a high quality camera.

Thanks for the help!
Damn, you have a lot to learn. I highly recommend that you do not make those videos and spend the many, many hours it would take doing that to study for your exams instead.

You can make musical videos for your own interest but it's a waste of time to make them in order to impress HR.

Keep in mind that being well-rounded does not mean being mediocre and unexceptional in several areas. It means that you have a high level of expertise in several areas. I disagree with your opening sentence. If you want to get good at something, you need to stick with it. If you want to be well-rounded, you need to stick to several things and be good at all those things.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Études in R || Open Database || Github
Version 1.0
Last Revised: 17.12.2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
I really enjoy drinking the tears of my enemy.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Kaner3339 Kaner3339 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,643
Default

Well, I sort of did stick to things but not as much as I wish I had. I just mean I'm not award winningly good at anything and am self taught while not taking anything too seriously.
__________________
P FM MFE C
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
You are miles ahead of jas socially. It's not much, but it's something.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-16-2012, 02:34 AM
vjvj's Avatar
vjvj vjvj is offline
Note Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: IL
Studying for MFE. Uh, ... pretty soon.
Posts: 4,736
Default

Weird place to move this. Is this meant to be hidden?
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjz99 View Post
I make you the first ever honoree of my raised beer mug. I raise my mug to you, Mr. Actuarial Answer Music Guy! *Mr. Actuarial Answer Music Guy* Where others memorize the letters in chunks, you have the insight to turn those letters into notes! *Every Good Boy Does Fine!* You laugh in the face of normal language and instead choose to use singspiel! *Did you come from Germany?* When everyone in the room turns and stares at you playing the desk, you sing your song! Here's to you Mr. Actuarial Answer Music Guy for showing everyone that a major in music isn't completely worthless!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.36509 seconds with 10 queries