Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models > CAS 3 - specific material
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet Caitlin Cunningham, Entry Level Senior Recruiter

CAS 3 - specific material Please keep posts regarding material common to both exams in the upper forum

Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM
CAS

Studying for 3L
College: South Alabama(BS)/Jacksonville State (MBA)
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_chuck_x View Post
Mapped out a schedule to complete the online seminars by Tuesday, April 3 - leaving in some days to catch up/review/take a day off. That will leave me 37 days to work problems and take practice exams.
Already a day behind. May have to double up the 2 sections on linear regression tonight. Tomorrow was a scheduled off day. May have to try and squeeze in some study time (my kid's birthday party takes precedence, though).

Finished TIA video and ASM problem set on Order Statistics last night (well, this morning at 12:30).
Online Course 2
Old 02-24-2012, 11:01 PM
CAS

Studying for 5

I finished up to lesson 13 today. I need to setup a schedule so I can make sure I stay on track.
Are you guys doing every problem in the manual? I think even Abe says doing all problems would be a lot. So far I'm just doing the old problems.
Does the CAS release sample problems like the SOA does? or are the released exams sufficient? I don't know if I want to use the released exams in place of sample problems. I want to save the released exams till the end.
What are your guys plans?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:27 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 8

I'm on lesson 22 and I have been doing every problem. So far I'm still on schedule, but if I ever start lagging behind I will stop doing every problem.

I don't know of a CAS set of released problems. You could go through the SOA's and just do the ones that apply to 3L, I guess.

My plan is once I finish the manual to go back and do any problems I had to skip, then do the "further suggested problems" recommended at the end of each section (basically the problems from exams since 2005, I think it is). Then I will hopefully still have a couple weeks that I will use to do timed exams (the 10 in ASM manual plus released ones).
Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncub View Post
Does the CAS release sample problems like the SOA does? or are the released exams sufficient? I don't know if I want to use the released exams in place of sample problems. I want to save the released exams till the end.
What are your guys plans?
All of the SOA sample questions come from released exams (with only a few exceptions, such as the 17 questions on new topics in the MLC set). The CAS is more generous and releases every exam.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 PM
CAS

Studying for 5

So, I thought exam 4 had a lot of formula, but all this notation and formulas in the Life Probabilities section is driving me crazy. I hope after doing more problems it begins to sink in better.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 PM
CAS

Studying for 5

Done with the insurance section and the notation/formulas keep on coming.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:17 PM
CAS

Studying for 5

Does anyone if there is a list available of which lesson from ASM are not tested on 3L?

Abe, is it safe to assume that if you don't list any questions from past 3L exams in the additional question section at the end of the lesson problems, then question from that section have not been asked on 3L exams?

Also, when Abe mentioned in the preface to skim the lightly tested section of LC, I've become lazy while doing those lessons. I almost wish he didn't tell us to skim them.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:33 PM
CAS

Studying for 5

:pin drop:
This thread is quite!

So how's everyone doing? How far along is everyone? I'm pretty close to my schedule, I have about 15 lesson to go and then I begin the review.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Does anyone if there is a list available of which lesson from ASM are not tested on 3L?
Every lesson in the 3L manual could be tested on 3L. On reserve recursion, I indicate that it may be useful but is not on the syllabus. I've now concluded that they haven't tested on it for many years, so that will be removed from the next edition.
Quote:
Abe, is it safe to assume that if you don't list any questions from past 3L exams in the additional question section at the end of the lesson problems, then question from that section have not been asked on 3L exams?
Yes.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 AM
CAS

Studying for 3L
College: Alumna of Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology

Quote:
:pin drop:
This thread is quite!

So how's everyone doing? How far along is everyone? I'm pretty close to my schedule, I have about 15 lesson to go and then I begin the review.
I'm about the same. I still have all of Stochastic Processes but I'm pretty much done with Life con and stats.