Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayanActuary View Post
There are at least 3 onion articles I have read mentioning actuaries.
Wow. I am impressed.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Frances View Post
CAS increased the requirement for ACAS from 5 exams to 7. But that should have temporarily increased the FCAS percentage. So no idea.
I'd expect the transition was announced ahead of time, so there was a rush of near-associates busting ass to make sure they got in before the requirement increased. So the total membership growth rate would spike and the Fellow-to-Associate ratio would fall, for a brief window.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urysohn View Post
I'd expect the transition was announced ahead of time, so there was a rush of near-associates busting ass to make sure they got in before the requirement increased. So the total membership growth rate would spike and the Fellow-to-Associate ratio would fall, for a brief window.
Yes, that's what happened. I started in 1975 and saw colleagues rushing to complete their ACAS before the requirements changed. I had zero exams and just watched helplessly as they moved the finish line for ACAS.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM
CAS

wouldn't the same have happened in the early 90s, when the ASA jumped from 200 credits to 300 (iirc)?

again, iirc, most of the actuaries I know in CAS that started writing around then took unpaid (i.e. no study time) to finish up their ASAs because it was only 1 or 2 or 3 more exams over and above the prelims
Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 PM

That is interesting how both the SOA and CAS raised the standards for the associate level designation (albeit many years apart). Since then you could argue that both societies have reduced the value of the credential (SOA with FAP, CAS with ACAS not being able to sign).