Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 6 US (old Part 7U)
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS - From Entry to Fellow

Old 03-31-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
This is a flaw in the CAS' testing structure.
Perhaps you could take the time to describe for us your alternative method that guarantees equality between sittings.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:13 AM
CAS

Studying for 9
Favorite beer: Founders Centennial IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos View Post
Perhaps you could take the time to describe for us your alternative method that guarantees equality between sittings.
Robots?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM
CAS

Studying for 9
Favorite beer: Founders Centennial IPA

Or, give the graders some coaching before they start on how to be more objective about grading. The last grader I talked to (who stopped grading several years ago) said there wasn't anything like that in place when he was grading.

Another note on consistency: even the same grader may not grade consistently from the 1st paper he/she looks at to the last. It takes a long time to get through all those papers...
Old 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM

In general, the grading on the verbal questions is poor. The CAS wants to limit the Multiple Choice questions to the online modules. The resulting open-ended verbal questions would require language experts to determine what point value is earned.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos View Post
Curving grades seems to do a decent job provided that the candidate pools are large enough.

Back on topic, I just went though this problem (question #4) myself. I believe my answer was worth 100% credit, but I only received 75-99% credit. I'm trying to find something to appeal, but because regrading requests aren't honored, there's nothing I can possibly appeal. My answer isn't a 'novel' approach - it's the exam same approach that the CAS uses. Unless it's a handwriting thing (which is possible, I suppose), my answer matches the model solutions virtually verbatim for this question. This whole process is incredibly frustrating.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 PM
CAS

College: University of Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Curving grades seems to do a decent job provided that the candidate pools are large enough.

Back on topic, I just went though this problem (question #4) myself. I believe my answer was worth 100% credit, but I only received 75-99% credit. I'm trying to find something to appeal, but because regrading requests aren't honored, there's nothing I can possibly appeal. My answer isn't a 'novel' approach - it's the exam same approach that the CAS uses. Unless it's a handwriting thing (which is possible, I suppose), my answer matches the model solutions virtually verbatim for this question. This whole process is incredibly frustrating.
I know exactly how you feel... i have the same thing not just for this question but 4 others
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 PM
CAS SOA

College: Michigan
Favorite beer: Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanda View Post
I know exactly how you feel... i have the same thing not just for this question but 4 others
Same thing here! I got 6 100%'s, but also at least 4 75-99%'s where I thought I deserved 100%. I didn't appeal any of them, because we are not allowed to refer to our own answers in our appeals, and my responses were nearly identical to the model answers.