Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Pension
Property & Casualty
Life & Health

Health
Actuary Jobs

Insurance &
Consulting --
Students,
Associates &

Fellows

D.W. Simpson
& Company

International
Actuarial
Recruiters

www.dwsimpson.com

Casualty Jobs
& Property --
Students
Associates &

Fellows

Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: lol beer ... ketel1 please....k thks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I know I shouldn't continue to feed the troll, but I'm putting this in Political, where it belongs:

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=238565
so far you got :crickets: dood
Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I know I shouldn't continue to feed the troll, but I'm putting this in Political, where it belongs:

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=238565
I don't see the need for a new thread.

Castro brutally killed lots of people. Some of the survivors and relatives of his rule now live in south Florida. Florida is a swing state politically. So what those voters think does matter. I suppose if there was an Iranian voting block who was persecuted by the Shah then maybe that would matter too. If you think this is some kind of double standard then knock yourself out.

You claimed it was a double standard because Iran had oil and Cuba doesn't. It isn't that simple. For one, Cuba does have oil. There's a lot of oil in Cuba and offshore of Cuba. If Cuba were an ally maybe that would be great for us, but they aren't. Of course a lot of people in Florida are not happy about off shore drilling possibly spilling on their beaches.

You mentioned Japan. Yes, they were an enemy in WWII. But they are no longer. I think Japan is a democracy and an ally. Cuba is not. So what.

I don't claim to be an expert on Cuba, but I think the economic sanctions could be dropped IF Fidel agreed to stop his human rights violations. He has chosen not to. So you can blame the US for having a double standard. I call that uninformed. Japan chose to be an ally. Cuba did not. Cuba has decided to continue human rights violations, locking people up and killing them for political reasons. Cuba remains an enemy based on political realities of voters in Florida and because Fidel does not agree to UN inspectors to stop human rights violations. Maybe you could place just some of the blame on Fidel instead of pointing your finger at US double standards.

There, is that the troll response you were after?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by win diesel View Post
so far you got :crickets: dood
Yeah, because I was expecting only one fellow to reply to me. And he's afraid to come over there.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Yeah, because I was expecting only one fellow to reply to me. And he's afraid to come over there.
I gave you a long response here. You want to cut and paste it over there be my guest.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Ryan View Post
I gave you a long response here. You want to cut and paste it over there be my guest.
You have the power to post on that thread. But for some reason, you're afraid to post your collection of fallacies and strawmen from post #140 there.

As I earlier implied, this is a sports forum, and this discussion ain't sports.

So, again, you fail.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:03 AM
CAS

Studying for 5

Quote:
As I earlier implied, this is a sports forum, and this discussion ain't sports.
then why did YOU start talking politics here? if you're not competent enough to finish your argument without your friends in political, that's your problem. plp don't need to argue with you on your terms.
In any case, I didn't have to study for FM at all, I just took my seeing-eye cat into the testing center and had it dance on the keyboard for a few minutes. ...we went down to the dock to chill with a 12 pack of Natty Lite and talk about all the losers who had to study for these tests.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Hodge_Podge View Post
then why did YOU start talking politics here? if you're not competent enough to finish your argument without your friends in political, that's your problem. plp don't need to argue with you on your terms.
(1) I wasn't the first to bring up politics; it was already going when I came in. However, the non-political part of the discussion had ended, so it was only proper to not hijack a sports thread for a political discussion.

(2) I do not, and have never, needed any "friends" (whoever those particular folks might be) to tear arguments like those of the guy who calls himself Rex Ryan to shreds.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
(1) I wasn't the first to bring up politics; it was already going when I came in. However, the non-political part of the discussion had ended, so it was only proper to not hijack a sports thread for a political discussion.

(2) I do not, and have never, needed any "friends" (whoever those particular folks might be) to tear arguments like those of the guy who calls himself Rex Ryan to shreds.
Evidently you do need help, because you have been unable to respond to my post here.

You appear to have some difficulty with arbitrary distinctions. AFAIK, thread drift is allowed and life's issues are not always simple to pigeon hole into categories such as sports or political. If the genesis of this discussion happens to be Ozzie Guillen's opinion on Fidel, then even though we may be discussing the merits of the US political position on Cuba, given the tie in to the Marlins manager it is perfectly appropriate to discuss in Sports.

Furthermore, one could argue that politics is in some sense a game of strategy and therefore a subset of the sports category. Now some will argue that chess or bridge or politics are not sports. And perhaps those people are politically motivated. I am not aware if any colleges have established a women's chess team to fulfill their requirements under Title 9, and if they have, I'm not sure if I should look in sports or political to find such a discussion.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
(1) I wasn't the first to bring up politics; it was already going when I came in.
Firstly, you have established that other posters have discussed politics in this thread. Secondly, you admit that you continued to discuss politics in this thread. Thirdly, you suddenly came to the conclusion that you no longer wanted to discuss the political tangents in this thread and made an arbitrary decision to change the venue to another thread. Fourthly, you seem rather put off that when you took your ball and ran to another field that others did not oblige your arbitrary decision to change the field and follow you there and play the game by your rules. Fifthly, you seem to have some delusions of grandeur that someone has appointed you rule maker.

The judges have concluded that by fleeing the field, you have admitted that you were losing the game here and therefore resigned and ran away. You attempted to start a new game elsewhere, but since no one played with you, you lost there as well. Judges score a knock out, in favor of Rex Ryan. Rex Ryan 2, Mr. B 0.

All rulings by the judges are final and not appealable.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
(2) I do not, and have never, needed any "friends" (whoever those particular folks might be)
Are you submitting to the judges that you don't need friends or don't have any?

What would you do if I sang out of tune,
Would you stand up and walk out on me.
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song,
And I'll try not to sing out of key.

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Caesar. The noble Brutus
Hath told you Caesar was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Caesar answer'd it.

Maybe we should move to non-actuarial.... since discussing your views on friendship does not appear to be sports related nor political.