Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet Marianne Westphal - DW Simpson Senior Director

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
If you don't understand how or why trust in actuarial "leadership" has been lost over the past 3+ years, you haven't been paying attention. [and referring to Carter as some impartial actor in the American political scene?! I've been rendered inarticulate. Just....oh lord.]
That was my reaction, too. Carter was probably the most incompetent president of my lifetime until Bush II came along. And Carter hasn't gotten much better with age.

Bruce
Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 PM

There were a total of 0 wars during the (allegiantly incompetent) Carter administration, but if you care to cite a better president, please feel free.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76

I suppose that counting wars is one way to evaluate a presidency, but it's not the way I would use. Still, if you want to use that method, then Clinton is certainly a winner.

Bruce
Old 04-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

My point was more about people not being able to see the perspective of others.

This is an important skill to have in the business (and political) world.

If you don't understand how other people perceive things, you're going to have a tough time influencing them.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Will Durant

Quote:
public pensions failing
Not only public. Ford recently enacted the nuclear option of offering lump sum cashouts to their retirees (NOT just their term vested participants). If other employers follow suit, it could mean the complete end of the private pension system.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie_Proctor View Post
I am a little taken aback by the insinuations here that there is a power grab taking place or that the younger generation of actuaries is being ignored. At 44, I believe I am the youngest member of the current CAS Board, although recent elections have put several younger actuaries onto the Board. While my kids are trying very hard to turn my hair white, it's not there yet.

When one is negotiating for peace, one most frequently puts out the eldest statesmen one can find. Jimmy Carter is the face to whom America turns when things are tough. It should not be surprising that the negotiators here are similarly long of tooth.

On the other hand, the CAS Board is committed to talking to the membership before we act. When the SoA proposed consolidation, the members were polled and said, "Hell no." That's what we voted and communicated. When the results of this task force are released, we will poll the members again and do what the members ask. Note that the results of this task force are not binding on the participating organizations. You get a say in this matter, folks.
I didn't suggest this was a power grab so I won't address this. I will address the part about younger actuaries being ignored. From my perspective this is a fundamental disagreement on the way in which the CAS conducts business. The current model is more of a civil service/corporate model where you are rewarded for working your way up the volunteer chain, network, and don't rock the boat. I don't think there has been a call for volunteers for Task Forces since this. One of the reasons why the same people keep popping up is no one else ever gets asked. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever proposes a Task Force also proposes its members in the same breath. I have the same problem with the Preliminary Education Task Force. Younger actuaries that are currently leading analytics departments within large companies aren't represented. I can think of a couple of very bright younger actuaries that could add a lot to that committee. I'm not saying that either committee as it is composed will do a poor job but the younger actuaries would be much more in tune with what the industry is looking for and have more skin in the game than the retired actuaries chosen. Again, I'm not saying that the people chosen are dishonest, I'm saying that the process is flawed and the perspective will be limited because of it.

As far as doing what the members want, I'm sleptical about that. The members were very much against FEM but the Board interpreted that opposition as "the members don't want US universities handing out waivers" and then abdicated their responsibility by
  • agreeing to honor waivers granted by the CIA, and
  • giving the executive council authority over the process
As with FEM, I wouldn't be surprised if the Board will honor the letter of the member's wishes on the merger but not the spirit. The line between FCAS and FSA will start to blur, all because people are more interested in "negotiating for peace" rather than standing firm. There have been past initiatives standardizing procedures with an eye toward pushing the organizations together (Continuing Ed, Joint Discipline, FEM). If we aren't careful, we'll negotiate our way right into a merger.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBurke View Post
...One of the reasons why the same people keep popping up is no one else ever gets asked. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever proposes a Task Force also proposes its members in the same breath....
No doubt about it. People who propose task forces are generally looking for cover or apparent support for their own ideas; thus, they appoint members who are generally supportive already.

Bruce
Old 04-29-2012, 02:56 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for whatever I feel like
College: Alumnus of Brown and UW-Madison

Quote:
Heck, even I have white hair.

But then, I'm a grandma.
Yup, I once had a nice head of black hair. Now that I am near 70, my hair is white. Yes, I have four grandsons, the eldest of whom is 13 and the youngest is 9.

Spoiler:
Obama sucks and we all know it-TDA

Spoiler:

That's been the funniest subplot of this whole thing, the people on the left attacking this bill for not being even more of a steaming pile. - erosewater
Old 04-29-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie_Proctor View Post
I am a little taken aback by the insinuations here that there is a power grab taking place or that the younger generation of actuaries is being ignored. At 44, I believe I am the youngest member of the current CAS Board, although recent elections have put several younger actuaries onto the Board. While my kids are trying very hard to turn my hair white, it's not there yet.

When one is negotiating for peace, one most frequently puts out the eldest statesmen one can find. Jimmy Carter is the face to whom America turns when things are tough. It should not be surprising that the negotiators here are similarly long of tooth.

On the other hand, the CAS Board is committed to talking to the membership before we act. When the SoA proposed consolidation, the members were polled and said, "Hell no." That's what we voted and communicated. When the results of this task force are released, we will poll the members again and do what the members ask. Note that the results of this task force are not binding on the participating organizations. You get a say in this matter, folks.
You sound like the next CAS president. Congratulations, it took you quite a bit of work to accomplish this.

Anyone who fights for CAS member interests on the CAS board has no shot at ever getting nominated president-elect.
#1: If you brag about starting at the bottom and making it to the top, you are probably still closer to the bottom.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 PM
CAS AAA

College: Indiana University
Favorite beer: Becks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
You sound like the next CAS president. Congratulations, it took you quite a bit of work to accomplish this.

Anyone who fights for CAS member interests on the CAS board has no shot at ever getting nominated president-elect.
You should sit in on a board meeting and watch. Yes, there are some agendas in the room, but there are some very strong member interest activists as well. The board meetings are open and visitors may attend everything but executive sessions.

And, no, you will not see my name on the ballot for president-elect anytime soon.

On the other hand, yes, the CAS political system is a meritocracy. If you want to sit on the board or act as a VP or as President through the usual path, you have to work your way through the ranks or you have to do something earth-shattering to create sufficient name recognition to be elected. It's a name game, plain and simple. I ran for the board many years ago on a younger and hotter headed agenda and lost. I ran again two years ago as former Exam Chair on a very vanilla platform and won a seat. I have been the disenfranchised new Fellow, I remember it well.

There are plenty of votes here on the AO to put an entire class of candidates on the Board. If you don't like what the leadership is doing, you can change it in short order.