Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > ERM Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet the Employees of DW Simpson
Patty Jacobsen Simpson, Bob Morand, Kristyn Sakelaris, Sean Loboda, KC Cho, Maureen Matous, Ellen Page
Aaron Benton, Becki Tobia, Kimberly Skora, Margit Vogele, Barclay Burns, Jason Blundy, Dan Karrow, Tom Troceen
Valorie Mulder, Marianne Westphal, Carol Lee, Jennifer Retford, Kieran Welsh-Phillips, Lindsey Nelson, Emily Paxton
Angie Wachholz, Derek Mulder, Julie Garwood, Caitlin Cunningham, David Benton, Dave Retford, Sarah Cleveland, Rhonda Glick
Genevieve Shannon, Meghan Bautista, Carol Datu, Barb Rave, Jesus Perez, Dan Kane, Chris Zdenek, Scott Simon, Kriss Wells

ERM Exam Old Advanced Finance and Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Forum

Old 04-29-2012, 10:34 AM
SOA

Morning
Q1: Operational Risk Incident - Identify the given situations and apply to Zoolander (6 points)
Q2: Z considering using S&P. Discuss what they would be looking for. ( 9 points)
Q3: Risk Appetite for Online Reading, Identify the 6 principles and apply them to Z, Calculate ERE term life and list recommendation. (10 points)
Q4: List 10 criteria for ERM. Apply to Z. (not sure)
Q5: Some question on oil, making decision using hedge strategies for divisions of a company.
Q6: Risk Aggregation Methods. Do calculations for Simple summation, Fixed Diversification and Correlation Matrix. VaR and CTE numbers provided for 3 types of risks. Prove using info that VaR is not subadditivity and CTE is. (about 12 points)

Afternoon:

Q7: Analyze CEO Compensation function of I:flat salary and function of growth in stock price and II: flat salary and function of Company Value (definition given)(8 points)
Q8: Expected value calculation, advantage and disadvantage of Copula and Correlation Matrix.(13 points)
Q9: Calculate EDF score and Critique EDF scores.(8 points)
Q10: Complete a Solvency II Balance sheet given info and the US NAIC figures. Calculations mostly (14 points)
Q11:HRO study note question. Had no idea what to write.(5 points)
Q12:Really long question on catastrophe bond study note. Purely theoretical (12 points)
Old 04-29-2012, 10:45 AM
SOA

MPC you are right. But when you practice the ERE a thousand times b 4 the exam you just want to complete it regardless of the time it takes.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 AM

wow dude, that is impressive haha however, I don't recall q4 as being one sole question but rather some part e) in a random question. I think you are only missing the question with 2 bonds, HQ and LQ and default and calculate VaR, CTE and the coherence of these risk measures (something like that), and I think tested the credit default swap as well

The HRO question, for your information, tested the integrative RM framework
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoc View Post
MPC you are right. But when you practice the ERE a thousand times b 4 the exam you just want to complete it regardless of the time it takes.
this is not good strategy.

I understand people do get into this sort of thing, but if you want to pass the written exams, you cannot waste time on overdoing problems.

While you wait, let your thoughts fly on golden wings
Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Eddy Chan, FSA, CERA, MAAA
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Saki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoc View Post
Morning
Q1: Operational Risk Incident - Identify the given situations and apply to Zoolander (6 points)
Q2: Z considering using S&P. Discuss what they would be looking for. ( 9 points)
Q3: Risk Appetite for Online Reading, Identify the 6 principles and apply them to Z, Calculate ERE term life and list recommendation. (10 points)
Q5: Some question on oil, making decision using hedge strategies for divisions of a company.
Q6: Risk Aggregation Methods. Do calculations for Simple summation, Fixed Diversification and Correlation Matrix. VaR and CTE numbers provided for 3 types of risks. Prove using info that VaR is not subadditivity and CTE is. (about 12 points)

Afternoon:

Q7: Analyze CEO Compensation function of I:flat salary and function of growth in stock price and II: flat salary and function of Company Value (definition given)(8 points)
Q8: Expected value calculation, advantage and disadvantage of Copula and Correlation Matrix.(13 points)
Q9: Calculate EDF score and Critique EDF scores.(8 points)
Q10: Complete a Solvency II Balance sheet given info and the US NAIC figures. Calculations mostly (14 points)
Q11:HRO study note question. Had no idea what to write.(5 points)
Q12:Really long question on catastrophe bond study note. Purely theoretical (12 points)
At least there are more questions this time (compared to only 10 questions last time).

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/ERM/SDM/LP/LFV/LRM/IRM Fall 2014

ERM: Sample (Offer all 6 extensions)
SDM: Sample
CFE: Sample
LP: Sample
LFV U.S.: Sample
LRM: Sample
Old 04-29-2012, 11:41 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmediWHAT? View Post
wow dude, that is impressive haha however, I don't recall q4 as being one sole question but rather some part e) in a random question. I think you are only missing the question with 2 bonds, HQ and LQ and default and calculate VaR, CTE and the coherence of these risk measures (something like that), and I think tested the credit default swap as well

The HRO question, for your information, tested the integrative RM framework
Oh yeah...forgot about that. Now that was also time consuming. I knew how to do it but time was going so I had to leave it. Never got back to it.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:31 PM

Favorite beer: cold

I didn't realize they wanted us to list the 10 criteria for ERM and I knew the list. They asked for 10 things that the rating agency could discuss with Zoolander. I guess I should have thought they meant the 10 criteria but they didn't specifically ask for it. What bothers me the most is that I knew the list.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 AM
SOA

I thought that question was more, "With regards to ERM culture, ERM controls, and Emerging Risk Management, give 10 things that S&P might want to talk about."

So I gave a list like: Executive compensation, underwriting audits, etc. I didn't think they wanted the 10 ERM criteria.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 AM

There was no such question as providing 10 key criteria, you are correct, I did the same.

The only part you could write about those 10 criteria, was the question asking for 2 BoD roles and responsibilities, you could then put Evaluate the effectiveness of the ERM program, and this is then supported by evaluating it against the 10 key criteria.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings fan View Post

I didn't realize they wanted us to list the 10 criteria for ERM and I knew the list. They asked for 10 things that the rating agency could discuss with Zoolander. I guess I should have thought they meant the 10 criteria but they didn't specifically ask for it. What bothers me the most is that I knew the list.
oh yay. spitting out a list.

While you wait, let your thoughts fly on golden wings