Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson & Co
Worldwide Actuarial

Recruitment

Entry Level Jobs
Casualty, Health,

Life, Pension,
Investment --
Insurance / Consulting

Asian Jobs
Hong Kong, China, India, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Singapore,

Malaysia, and more

Registration Form
Be Notified of

New Actuarial Jobs

Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 AM

Exclamation "What would you do?" - Transgender Waitress

I love this show. This week - the transgender waitress. Nice to see some morals and values still exist in this country. Though in morally-bankrupt la, no one would've done anything.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1468381.html

he ABC program "What Would You Do?" has never shied away from tackling controversial topics, and this week's forthcoming episode is no exception.

In an effort to determine one community's acceptance of transgender people, "RuPaul's Drag Race" alum Carmen Carrera is cast in the role of a New Jersey diner waitress, while an actor portrays a longtime customer who deplores the fact the waiter he once knew and liked as "Christopher" is now a woman.

"Once upon a time, I was Chris -- and now I'm Carmen," Carrera, who reportedly is revealing that she is transgender for the first time on the program, says to the customer.

But Kevin isn't hearing any of it, responding angrily, "I don't think I can even eat here! This is disgusting! They have, like, freaks waiting tables!"

Check out a clip from Friday's episode above.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Oh, neat. I should watch that show more, I really like all the clips I've seen (black guy vs white guy vs hot white chick stealing a bike, gender-swapped domestic violence, toddler pageantry dressed like the Pretty Woman chick). Not sure how much I trust the results since it's clear they have a narrative they want to stick to, but it's still nice to see a 'reality' show that makes you think.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Studying for EA-1, -2L & -2F
Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

My favorite was the two surgeons getting "wasted" in a bar when one of them gets a call to perform an operation.

One lady actually told him to eat peanuts to hide the smell of liquor.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 AM

That show has such bad acting.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 AM

I also find the premise of the show absurd - intervention is not always the best course of action in many situations yet the show acts like everyone should intervene.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
That show has such bad acting.
transgender, amirite?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:30 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
I also find the premise of the show absurd - intervention is not always the best course of action in many situations yet the show acts like everyone should intervene.

As long as lives aren't in danger like the drunk surgeons or potential abuse, I'm going to mind my own business.

When parent can't handle their son coming out of the closet, I feel for the kid, but I don't think it's my place to tell them they are a bad parent.

The one I found ridiculous was a dog locked in a car on a hot day. Their advice was that people should smash windows open to let the dog get air. Now if you don't know, I have a soft spot in my heart for dogs, but there's no way I'm dealing with a lawsuit for smashing someone's window because they are careless with their pet(s). The most I would do if I saw that was call the police.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Lead Guitarist

Favorite beer: Saison-Brett

Yeah, the intervention axiom is broken. There was one episode where they had a couple of teenagers getting "drunk" in public and everyone who walked by without doing anything was painted as negligent. Sorry, but that's just stupid.

Some of the points are interesting, but overall I just see this show as stirring up unnecessary drama.