Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet the Employees of DW Simpson
Patty Jacobsen Simpson, Bob Morand, Kristyn Sakelaris, Sean Loboda, KC Cho, Maureen Matous, Ellen Page
Aaron Benton, Becki Tobia, Kimberly Skora, Margit Vogele, Barclay Burns, Jason Blundy, Dan Karrow, Tom Troceen
Valorie Mulder, Marianne Westphal, Carol Lee, Jennifer Retford, Kieran Welsh-Phillips, Lindsey Nelson, Emily Paxton
Angie Wachholz, Derek Mulder, Julie Garwood, Caitlin Cunningham, David Benton, Dave Retford, Sarah Cleveland, Rhonda Glick
Genevieve Shannon, Meghan Bautista, Carol Datu, Barb Rave, Jesus Perez, Dan Kane, Chris Zdenek, Scott Simon, Kriss Wells

Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 AM

Bro

Look up the standard for the Crossfit games open workout 12.1. That's how I do them
Old 05-07-2012, 12:29 PM
SOA

Studying for What makes me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matamagato View Post
just wondering, when you say burpee, are you talking about the variation where you jump?
Is it a burpee without the jump?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM
SOA

Studying for GH-ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe View Post
Bro

Look up the standard for the Crossfit games open workout 12.1. That's how I do them
Do you do it under a 12" target, or just jump high every time?
.-|||-----|||-
.     | |
Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 PM

It depends where I do them. In the gym I have something rigged up that I jump and touch. At home, no, but the motion has become so routine to me that I do it anyway.

In other news

5/6/2012

Workout #1 - strength

Back squat, sets of 3 heavy reps:
345x3, 355x3, 355x3
Could have been a little heavier, but i'm focusing on riding the bar as high as possible, and dropping straight down between my legs. I learned to squat in a wider stance (I learned from a powerlifter) which is less conducive to the hip opening movement needed for Olympic weightlifting. So, different positioning = lower totals, but that's OK.

Workout #1 -Skills
3 sets of 20 pullups
500m row x 2, 1:33, 1:32 (was supposed to be a 85% pace, I didn't kill it)
30 muscle ups (tough after pullups) 10 sets of 3, 30 sec between sets

Workout #2: Technique, Power

Squat snatch 135x10
Squat snatch 155x10

Nothing heavy, just reps, just some technique work to wrap up the day. I am trying to do Olympic lift technique work and lots of reps in the morning and at night. This was only the 2nd time I've succeeded, but I am pretty sure I'll get better at doing it.

Last edited by ShebaPoe; 05-07-2012 at 09:07 PM..
Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebaPoe View Post
It depends where I do them. In the gym I have something rigged up that I jump and touch. At home, no, but the motion has become so routine to me that I do it anyway.

In other news

5/6/2012

Workout #1 - strength

Back squat, sets of 3 heavy reps:
345x3, 355x3, 355x3
Could have been a little heavier, but i'm focusing on riding the bar as high as possible, and dropping straight down between my legs. I learned to squat in a wider stance (I learned from a powerlifter) which is less conducive to the hip opening movement needed for Olympic weightlifting. So, different positioning = lower totals, but that's OK.

Workout #1 -Skills
3 sets of 20 pullups
500m row x 2, 1:33, 1:32 (was supposed to be a 85% pace, I didn't kill it)
30 muscle ups (tough after pullups) 10 sets of 3, 30 sec between sets

Workout #2: Technique, Power

Squat snatch 135x10
Squat snatch 155x10

Nothing heavy, just reps, just some technique work to wrap up the day. I am trying to do Olympic lift technique work and lots of reps in the morning and at night. This was only the 2nd time I've succeeded, but I am pretty sure I'll get better at doing it.
What is the benefit and/or drawbacks of high bar vs. low bar squats? I think I have heard power lifters use high bar. What's the trade off?

I am still trying to get the muscle up down. I thought they'd be easier, since I am pretty good with body-weight stuff. But there's definitely some technique involved. That whole false grip thing isn't easy. I wish I had a set of rings at home to practice on.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 AM
SOA

Studying for C
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Powerlifters use low bar position. I believe because of the positioning on your back you can get better leverage to hold more weight. This is due to your torso not being as upright when compared to Olympic high bar style squats.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgadd View Post
Powerlifters use low bar position. I believe because of the positioning on your back you can get better leverage to hold more weight. This is due to your torso not being as upright when compared to Olympic high bar style squats.
Ok. So did I have it backwards, I guess?

So why do olympic lifters do high bar squats? I know squating isn't an olympic lift. Does it have to do with complimenting technique or training for olympic lifts?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 AM
SOA

College: Mephitis State University
Favorite beer: Saison Dupont

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the high bar position makes the squat more like a front squat and the low bar position makes the back angle more horizontal which helps train the posterior chain better. I think it was Rippetoe, but I'm not sure. Sheba might know.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM

tgadd has it right; powerlifters do low bar. This has to do with leverage. Think of the bar low on your back as you descend into a deep squat. Your hips go back, butt back like you are sitting into a chair. Now at the bottom, you have a couple of things you can do. You can stand up and squat. Or, you can reposition your hips, as in a deadlift, and squat from there.

The second one is what powerlifters do. This repositioning invovles the quads, the hamstrings, the lower back and so on. The hips can be continually adjusted as the squat progresses. You might watch this and think "he's going too far forward" but as long as the back does not round, this is structurally just fine. There is a video featuring Mark Rippetoe teaching the squat where he has an athlete squat down, then lift his hips first, then stand up.

This whole thing is much easier when the bar is low on your back. the radius of the circle from the hips to the bar is shorter, requiring less force to achieve upward rotation of the torso. With a high bar, more force is required, meaning, simply, you can lose less weight.

Low bar back squats are excellent for building strength. But they have shortcomings with regard to Olympic lifts. Think of the bar position as you pull in a clean or snatch. You have to "open your hips" and squeeze your butt to generate the force that starts the pull. Now think about how a law bar squat works: by repositioning your hips, you delay and somewhat preclude the hip "pop" the provides the power for Olympic lifts.

A high bar back squat strongly encourages you to squat straight down (leaning forward with a high bar....good luck ) This keeps your hips open, just as they must be for Olympic lifts. A high bar forces you into a position similar to what you'll be doing when you clean or snatch. A low bar doesn't.

Dan John is always talking about "squatting between your legs", not on top of them. This is what he means.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM

Shebs, for your workouts, do you always do a strength component followed by some anaerobic endurance work (like the WOD)?

For my routines, I'm generally doing the same thing, just wondering if this is what you always do.