Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS - From Entry to Fellow

Old 05-10-2012, 12:27 PM

You can show up that morning.
You can drive up and pay now.
You can call and order a "reservation." I don't know too much about this. Everytime I've tried to do this, they say to drive up and pay. All I know is that there are a lot of people there that morning paying. They usually max out at 600 entries, but there is a standby list to replace early knock-outs.
What I think "reservation" means is that you're in the tournament, provided you show up and pay. That takes precedence over those showing up that morning without a reservation. If they reach their max from early payors and reservers, those showing up without a reservation will be on standby.

Tourney starts at 9AM. Traffic and parking can suck, due to the tourney. Get there by 8AM. Try to stay in the tournament for buffet lunch, which isn't all that.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:11 PM

they might just expand the # of players for this one too. they could easily fit another few hundred in that big room. when i call to reserve i will ask about that.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:03 PM

For this one, you hear more noise from tables breaking down than from chip shuffling. (It's a fast one.) Too bad they're not allowed to set up cash games. I wouldn't mind their setting up continuous SNG's or a noon second-chance tourney, since that's about the time I bust out. Last year I made back my buy-in, plus $70 or so.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 05-10-2012 at 07:07 PM..
Old 05-14-2012, 09:04 PM

just reserved my spot in this tourney.
they said to show up an hour early to check in, but i've usually gotten away with being a little later, like half-hour.

top prize should be somewhere around $25k, plus the $10k main event seat.

starting with $10,000 chips and the first level is an hour (30min after that) so the structure is not too fast