Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Default AO Rap Battle Tournament 2013

AO Rap Battle Tournament 2013

Introduction:

This is the competition none of you have been waiting for and half of you prefer would never happen. Nevertheless you are all thoroughly happy it is taking place. This is the official Actuarial Outpost Rap Battle Tournament 2013. Do you have what it takes to be the ultimate winner of an internet text rap battle amongst actuaries and those who electronically dwell amongst actuaries? You just might. But probably not.

Format:

The tournament will follow a single-elimination bracket structure (similar to the NCAA tournament).

Depending on the level of interested participants, there will be 32 or 64 or 128 or 4 slots in the bracket. Upon reaching the maximum number of participants, seeding will take place. If people sign up past reaching the maximum, whomever is in will be determined on a first-come first-in basis. The list of participants will be maintained in this thread in the order in which people declare their intent to participate within this thread. Do so by posting in this thread "In" or "I am participating" or something else clear, please.

Seeding:

I will be seeking an honest volunteer who can be trusted to provide me (publicly, in this thread) with a list of as many distinct random numbers as there are participants (MPC, I'm looking at you again.) The list of participants will be placed alongside the list of random numbers and sorted (increasing) to determine seeding.

For example, if the four participants are, in the order in which they declared their participation, HotChocolate, Alpo, Canker Store, and MadDingo, and the random numbers are 0.3, 0.5, 0.1, and 0.9, then the seeding array will look like:
HotChocolate 0.3
Alpo 0.5
CankerStore 0.1
MadDingo 0.9
and the pairings will be:
#1 CankerStore vs #2 HotChocolate
#3 Alpo vs #4 MadDingo
In round 2, winner of 1 vs 2 will battle winner of 3 vs 4, etc.

Matchups:

When the pairings for a round are set, I will create the threads for those pairings. Each matchup will take place in a separate thread in the Tournament Style Surveys section. In each matchup, two participants will be paired against each other with the goal of defeating their opponent in a text rap battle.

The matchup threads will be named in the following format:
AO RBT 2013, Rd N, #X {name} vs #Y {name}

Each opponent in that pairing will tag in by posting in the thread, and use that post to notify their opponent of any timing issues (such as travelling to some hellhole for 12 days without AO access).

The person with the lowest seed # will post a verse first, and they will alternate. So if Alpo and MadDingo are opponents as in the example above, #3 Alpo posts first, then MadDingo, then Alpo again, then MadDingo to finish it.

Verses in all rounds must be between 8 and 12 lines.

In the interest of keeping things moving in a timely fashion, each person will have 3 days to complete their verse. This is faster than last year's 7 days. That time starts from the time either: a) both people have tagged into their matchup thread, or b) their opponent has posted a verse and the matchup hasn't yet concluded with the fourth verse. Faster progress is encouraged. The 3 day limit is more a guideline than a hard rule. Do your best to abide by it. If time drags on with no action from a person, they can be considered to have forfeited if their opponent wishes, and the matchup will be decided accordingly. Let's try not to have that ever happen.

Once the fourth verse has been posted, I will create a poll in the thread in which AOers will vote on who won the battle. Polls will be public to deter alt-bombing the results. There will be three options in each poll: A should win, B should win, and tie/can't decide. The poll will be set to expire after something less than 10 days, not detrmined yet. Faster than last year though since it's already late October.

Voters may decide who won based on their own subjective factors, such as:
-best insulting of opponent
-best boasting
-rhyming
-flow
-alliteration
-spelling parts of the brain incorrectly
-assonance
-wordplay
-etc
DO NOT alt-bomb the voting please.

Rules to Join:
-Must have 1000+ posts (this way there is a developed persona to attack)
-Must post in this thread declaring you are "in" or "participating" or something else clear.
-If the limit of # of participants is crossed, will be determined on a first-come, first-served basis.

Let me know if there are any clarifications that need to be made. I love each and every one of you.

Link to last year's tournament:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ght=rap+battle

[to store participants and the random numbers once acquired]

List of participants thus far:
Agadefe
3rookie
figure 8
Loner
sooner82
FourKicks
Aw Yeah
Sentinel
FormLetter
The Cuddling Wingman
mathmajor
Inconceivable
Dismal Science
2pac Shakur
Ogre_8

unsure of:

List of contingent participants if there isn't enough interest with posters at 1000+ posts:

Last edited by FormLetter; 08-11-2014 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: updating list to add Ogre_8

[held for pairings and results]

Holds rules for post 1 in each matchup thread.

AO Rap Battle Tournament 2013
Round N Matchup
#X {name} vs #Y {name}
Link to main tournament thread.

The matchup rules:
Both opponents must tag in in this thread by posting "tag in" or something like that. Also if you have any special time considerations bring them up at that time.

Lowest seed number posts a verse first, within 3 days of both opponents having tagged in to this thread. From there they alternate posting verses within 3 days of the prior verse until both have posted 2 verses. Matches may begin after both have tagged in, no need to wait.

Verses must be between 8 and 12 lines.

After the fourth verse I will post a poll to determine the winner.

Be honorable. Or honourable.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Now 20% less conceivable!
CAS

I was robbed last year, even the guy that beat me said I won. No bueno, and no Inco.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:14 PM

Wipe up those tears with some spilled milk.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Now 20% less conceivable!
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
Wipe up those tears with some spilled milk.
Plus after listening to Rap God a few times, I know I shouldn't quit my day job.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM

That's why this competition is perfect. You can keep your day job. You might even confine all your participation to be during your day job.

You can't afford not to participate.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:29 PM
SOA

I think I missed this last year, so I'll sign up this time.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:30 PM

Loner destroyed me in the first round last year on his way to actuarial rap glory. Since then, I have been training rigorously, sometimes multiples times a day, for a chance at redemption - went through a few injuries, multiple divorces, and a few people may have died (I can't return to Wyoming). But it all will have been worth it, as I now return for a chance at the most glorious honor an actuary could receive - ao rap champion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.